Associate Patient Care Coordinator
Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data, and resources they need to feel their best. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as we help advance health equity on a global scale. Here, you will find talented peers, comprehensive benefits, a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, career growth opportunities and your life’s best work.SM
Compassion is the essential trait that drives superior health care performance. But it's just a start. At OptumCare innovative thinking is just as important. Our unique team of health care providers are an emerging and important part of Optum and the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses. Our approach is designed to help physicians and other providers deliver the right care at the right time in the right setting. That takes smart ideas and incredible teamwork. And that's where you come in. In this role, you'll support a clinical team that's helping patients in new and better ways while giving them a generous helping of compassion and respect.
The Associate Patient Care Coordinator is responsible for the completion of set processes and protocols. Works cooperatively with all members of the care team to support the vision and mission of the organization, deliver excellent customer service, and adhere to Lean processes. Supports the teams in meeting financial, clinical, and service goals. Receives direction from Clinic Operations Management. Works cooperatively with all members of the care team and supports the vision of the Positive Patient Experience (PPE). Ensures all patients are greeted and checked in following standard work, verifying demographics, verifying insurance, collecting copays, and enter charges. Assists patients and ensures that their experience is a positive one. Answers telephone call and routes them appropriately and resolves moderately complex issues.
- Responsible for welcoming patient and establishing a positive patient experience. Checking patients in using standard processes and ensuring demographics including insurance is correct in APM and update if necessary
- Schedule appointments and handle walk in requests for form completion, medication refill requests, ancillary services, and work with the back office to assist same day requests as well as late arrivals
- Responsible for daily bank which includes providing correct change, providing receipts, processing credit card transactions, and ensuring cash handling policies are followed
- Verifying insurance for all patients following appropriate policies which includes utilizing multiple platforms
- Handling incoming customer inquiries that can include appointment scheduling, prescription questions, referrals, form status, etc.
- Responsible for waiting room management, this includes tracking patients upon checking in and ensuring they are assisted in a timely manner. Also, ensuring the area is clean, brochures and flyers are stocked, as well as removing any non-approved materials from the area
- Establish a rapport with all staff to build a sense of teamwork for a healthy environment to promote a positive patient experience
- Support other clinics/departments when requested by management
- Review provider schedules for accuracy and inappropriate scheduling, completing bump requests, and making outbound calls that can include appointment reminders, scheduling appointments, etc.
- Remain in compliance with all applicable State and Federal laws as well as company policies
- Other duties as assigned
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma/GED (or higher)
- 1+ years of experience with medical office processes
- 1+ years of experience with insurance verifications
- 1+ years of experience with pre-authorizations and precertification
- Basic level of proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- 1+ years of related work experience including data entry
- ICD 10 and CPT coding experience
- Previous call center experience using a softphone
- Prior experience with EMR computer applications
- Working knowledge of medical terminology
- Strong communication and customer service skills both in person and via phone
Nevada Residents Only: The hourly range for Nevada residents is $16.00 to $27.31 per hour. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location, and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups, and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.