Manager, Patient Access - Bay Area - California (109661180)
Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that is improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation is not about another gadget; it is about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There is no room for error. If you are looking for a better place to use your passion and your desire to drive change, this is the place to be. It's an opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
By delivering solutions across spectrums of health care Optum is focused on our aspiration of improving experiences and outcomes for everyone we serve while reducing the total cost of care. In support of this, OptumInsight's purpose is to connect the health care system with trusted services, analytics and platforms that make clinical and administrative processes valuable, easy and efficient for everyone
OptumInsight provides analytics, research, consulting, technology and managed services solutions to hospitals, physicians, health plans, government agencies, life science companies and other industry partners. In addition to our many commercial clients, OptumInsight capabilities and technologies are leveraged by OptumHealth, OptumRx and our sister company UnitedHealthcare.
The Manager, Patient Access is responsible for the coordination of overall goals, expectations and allocation of resources for the Patient Access department. Contributes, through knowledge and experience, the support required to improve overall quality of customer service, to include patient registrations, and positive patient interactions. Establish necessary procedures to assure we are collecting defined co pays and deductibles from patients. Responsible for overall staff development in all areas of Patient Access.
- Manages and organizes the daily and ongoing work flows of assigned staff. Assures productivity standards are established, tracked and communicated to the staff
- Works closely with the Director in the development of long term goals, work plans and strategies
- Evaluates overall processes and works to find ways to improve within the department and areas affected outside the department
- Establish and monitor specific productivity goals to allow for maintenance of accuracy in patient information and streamlined approach to customer. Coordinates activities within the department to assure there is a solid integration of tasks
- Establish appropriate protocols and procedures to assure quality controls are in place to measure demographic and other information
- Develop specific tools to be used by all staff supervised to assure knowledge is current and goals are established
- Hiring, counseling and terminating employees. Performs appropriate evaluations for staff and assist them with performance improvement and career counseling
- Organizes, participates in and/or directs projects as assigned, maintaining collaborative relationships with relevant hospital departments
- Manages overall staffing to control overtime and maintain productivity within established guidelines
- Develops training and measurements to assure staff are properly trained and kept well informed as to overall department and hospital needs
- Timely hiring, training and orienting of new personnel, seeking the most qualified candidates for the job. Further responsible for evaluation, counseling and termination of employees with the overall Human Resources guidelines
- Maintaining overall integrity of operations and compliance with all processes and regulations
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor of Science in Health Administration, Business, or Accounting is preferred, but may be waived in lieu of 5+ years of management experience in the same or complimentary position
- 5+ years of progressively responsible management experience in a medium to large size hospital, with experience in revenue and or reimbursement management, charge capture, CDM management or related areas, Patient Access, knowledge of HIPAA, EMTALA, Medicare MediCAL billing regulations.
- 5+ years of experience in all aspects of Patient Access, including Managed Care, regulatory requirements, commercial insurance and Government payers
- 5+ years of advanced skills in PC based programs such as Excel, Word, Power Point, Visio, etc.
- 3+ years of management experience
- 2+ years of experience with PPOs, HMOs, and alternative payment systems
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential requirement of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance
- Proficient in applications: Excel, Word, Visio, Access and PowerPoint
- Demonstrated effective communication skills and the ability to tactfully work with Senior Leadership, directors, department managers and staff
- Self-starter with strong managerial and analytical skills, a sense of urgency and motivation to see a job through to completion
- Additionally, due to the nature of the work, solid organizational skills, ability to develop and present complex issues appropriate to the audience and the subject matter
- Able to work effectively as a team member and contribute positively towards the overall goals of Financial Services and the hospital
- Demonstrates ability to facilitates groups and manage projects
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.