Patient Access Representative - Waterville, ME
Opportunities at Northern Light Health, in strategic partnership with Optum. Whether you are looking for a role in a clinical setting or supporting those who provide care, we have opportunities for you to make a difference in the lives of those we serve. As a statewide health care system in Maine, we work to personalize and streamline health care for our communities. If the place for you is at a large medical center, a rural community practice or home care, you will find it here. Join our compassionate culture, enjoy meaningful benefits and discover the meaning behind: Caring. Connecting. Growing together.
Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.SM
Responsible for providing patient-oriented service in a clinical or front office setting; performs a variety of clerical and administrative duties related to the delivery of patient care, including greeting and checking in patients, answering phones, collecting patient co-pays and insurance payments, processing paperwork, and performing other front office duties as required in a fast-paced, customer-oriented clinical environment
This position is a full-time, float position, and shifts are days, evenings or nights, as needed. This is an on-site position located at Northern Light Inland Hospital 200 Kennedy Memorial Drive, Waterville, ME 04901
- Communicates directly with patients and / or families either in person or on the phone to complete the registration process by collecting patient demographics, health information, and verifying insurance eligibility / benefits
- Utilizes computer systems to enter access or verify patient data in real - time ensuring accuracy and completeness of information
- Gathers necessary clinical information and processes referrals, pre-certification, pre-determinations, and pre-authorizes according to insurance plan requirements
- Verifies insurance coverage, benefits and creates price estimates, reverifications as needed
- Collects patient co-pays as appropriate and conducts conversations with patients on their out-of-pocket financial obligations
- Identifies outstanding balances from patient’s previous visits and attempts to collect any amount due
- Responsible for collecting data directly from patients and referring provider offices to confirm and create scheduled appointments for patient services prior to hospital discharge
- Responds to patient and caregivers' inquiries related to routine and sensitive topics always in a compassionate and respectful manner
- Generates, reviews and analyzes patient data reports and follows up on issues and inconsistencies as necessary
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of specific registration requirements for all areas, including but not limited to: Main Admitting, OP Registration, ED Registration, Maternity, and Rehabilitation units.
- Cover the hospital switchboard as needed
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma / GED (or higher) or equivalent experience
- 1+ years of Customer Service experience such as hospital, office setting, customer service setting, or phone support
- 1+ year of computer experience
- Ability to work days, evenings, nights or as needed schedule
- Full COVID-19 and Flu vaccination are an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Experience with Microsoft Office products
- Experience in a Hospital Patient Registration Department, Physician office or any medical setting
- Working knowledge of medical terminology
- Understanding of insurance policies and procedures
- Experience in insurance reimbursement and financial verification
- Ability to perform basic mathematics for financial payments
- Experience in requesting and processing financial payments
- Strong interpersonal, communication and customer service skills
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies required all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world’s large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.SM
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.