Patient Service Specialist
$1,000 SIGN ON BONUS FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS
Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data and resources they need to feel their best. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as we help advance health equity on a global scale. Here, you will find talented peers, comprehensive benefits, a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, career growth opportunities and your life’s best work.(sm)
This position coordinates the provision of multiple services to patients performing a full range of administrative support services for clinic/site including collection of co-payments, registration and scheduling of patients for medical procedures, tests, associated ancillary services and other related duties. Ensures the highest level of patient/customer satisfaction.
Work Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00AM-4:30PM. No weekends, evenings or holidays.
Location: 24 Newton St, Southborough, MA
- Verifies, re-verifies and authorizes patient insurance coverage and eligibility utilizing computer-based patient registration/scheduling system. Verifies and updates demographic, insurance, and other patient information. Confirms, collects, and posts patient co-payments and other outstanding balances
- Generates and tracks patient encounter forms. Reviews patient encounter forms for completeness and resolves any discrepancies. Batches encounter forms and submit to appropriate billing area
- Maintains records and makes daily cash deposit as assigned
- Receives and addresses patient-care related telephone calls. Provides routine information on procedures and standard policies, refers matters to appropriate person within department/site
- Identifies problem related priorities, and responds to emergency needs by contacting/interrupting physician/provider within guidelines
- Resolves patients’ questions regarding clinic schedules and billing concerns; handles requests for prescription refills, reschedules appointments, etc.
- Documents appropriate information in computer system. Prepares patient charts. Ensures completeness by locating test results, reminding patients of appointments, including appropriate forms, etc., for patient appointments
- Updates and maintains Telephone Message System (TMS) in computer system. Follows through on requests. Distributes messages to appropriate provider or others for appropriate action
- Enters new referrals or ensures that existing referral numbers are linked in the system to ensure managed care requirements
- Provides patient education regarding managed care plans and referral process. Answers patients’ referral questions, concerns, etc. Provides patient with available options
- Works collaboratively with primary care practices, patients and specialty practices to process outgoing referrals prior to scheduled visits. Follows up with practices that do not issue a referral or obtain referral on a timely basis
- Interfaces with staff, providers and patients regarding denied referrals. Documents information and assists with alternate plan of care, if needed
- Completes and maintains patient schedules. Schedules and coordinates patient visits, medical procedures for both inpatients and outpatients. Communicates with patients regarding all information related to scheduled appointments
- Notifies providers, patients and others of changes such as new scheduling, re-scheduling, no-show, emergency appointments and add-ons
- Maintains recall lists and communicates with patients as appropriate
- May inform nursing staff or others of laboratory and diagnostic study results; collects and mails test results
- May escort patient to examination rooms and chaperones patients as required
- May process standard and non-standard business office administrative paperwork, such as purchase requisitions, employee time sheets, expense vouchers, etc. Follows-up with personnel outside the medical office to expedite timely action and alleviate, or report delays as appropriate
- Provides guidance to departmental personnel in medical office on administrative policies and procedures
- Complies with health and safety requirements and with regulatory agencies such as DPH, etc.
- Complies with established departmental policies, procedures, and objectives
- Enhances professional growth and development through educational programs, seminars, etc.
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma/GED (or higher) OR 2+ years of medical office experience
- Intermediate level of proficiency with Microsoft Office products
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state, and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Knowledge in EMR software
- Knowledge of medical terminology
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state, and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers with Optum. Our objective is to make health care simpler and more effective for everyone. With our hands at work across all aspects of health, you can play a role in creating a healthier world, one insight, one connection and one person at a time. We bring together some of the greatest minds and ideas to take health care to its fullest potential, promoting health equity and accessibility. Work with diverse, engaged and high-performing teams to help solve important challenges.
**PLEASE NOTE** The sign-on bonus is only available to external candidates. Candidates who are currently working for UnitedHealth Group, UnitedHealthcare or a related entity in a full time, part time or per diem basis ("Internal Candidates") are not eligible to receive a sign on bonus.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.