Technical Advisor to the CTO - Telecommute - Seattle WA, Minneapolis, MN
UnitedHealth Group is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
Optum Labs is the research and development arm of UnitedHealth Group. We're a diverse team of curious thinkers and experts in big data, artificial intelligence and machine learning, and scientific and clinical research searching for new ways to help people live healthier lives. We partner with world leaders in health care delivery, research, and technology to create disruptive solutions that serve patients, caregivers, providers, and commercial and government payers.
More equitable, effective, and affordable health care - that's our goal. We aren't just trying to improve the care an individual receives. We're building a future where the health care system works better for everyone.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
The Technical Advisor (TA)/Chief of Staff for the Optum Labs CTO is a highly visible role which serves as a business liaison, program leader, and consultant on various business and technical topics across programs within the broader UnitedHealth Group organization. The candidate for this position should possess deep knowledge and expertise in certain technical or business fields, and is expected to develop a broad understanding of businesses across Optum and UHC and leadership skills to influence partners and stakeholders. The ideal candidate thinks strategically, takes initiatives, leads by example, and operates effectively.
- Partner and lead on behalf of the Chief Technology Officer of Optum Labs key programs and initiatives that require a single threaded owner
- Surface and investigate ad hoc new ideas. Drive pilot initiatives and deliver recommendations on top unfunded investments
- Managing in collaboration with Finance and Executive Assistant team, the annual planning process (QBRs, MBRs, OKRs), agenda/topics for leadership meeting offsite
- Performing ad hoc deep dives in collaboration with Finance and program owners
- Develop mechanisms to drive best practice sharing across programs and functions
- Attending business/program review meetings, providing feedback, and asking questions on important areas
- Ensuring solid follow-up management on action items and outstanding questions
- Act as a consultant to various internal teams or projects. Support teams needing help thinking through problems (both business and communications)
- Driving the creation of content for executive presentations
- Coordinating across organizations to produce consolidated Optum Labs documents to be presented to Senior and Executive Leadership Team
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelors Degree
- 8+ years of software engineering experience, with a proven track record of leading large-scale projects
- 5+ years of experience engaging with senior executives
- 5+ years of healthcare experience
- Proven, successful track record of navigating through ambiguous situations
- Proven, successful track record of influencing across the organization and leading others cross-functionally to deliver on projects and goals
- Proven, successful track record of working with headquarters on global projects
- Deep hands-on technical expertise
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Solid business acumen
- Ownership of automation and technology implementations
- Deep understanding and experience developing state-of-the-art technology solutions for healthcare
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
We Lead with Diversity, Inclusion and Compassion
At Optum Labs, we are dedicated to building teams where every individual is recognized for their unique experience and contributions. Our Leadership Principles underscore our commitment to inclusion, encouraging us to “walk in each other’s shoes” and open doors for our peers.
UnitedHealth Group supports local, regional, and national organizations that share these values through joint initiatives, event and program participation, volunteerism and giving. Through our Connected Communities, employees can connect with others who have similar – or different – life experiences and backgrounds. These groups are led by peers, supported by Human Capital, and championed by leaders.
We Invest in Talent
Managers at every level are committed to their roles as talent stewards who help guide and nurture professional development. We want our employees to reach their highest level of potential just as they help us reach ours.
At Optum Labs, employees are our first customers. That’s why we offer virtual work environments – to provide work/life flexibility via telecommuting. While it can be a struggle to be a telecommuter, it can also provide enormous benefits for your personal and professional life.
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers at UnitedHealth Group. We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented. Compassionate. Driven. To these select few, we offer the global reach, resources and can-do culture of a Fortune 5 company. We provide an environment where you're empowered to be your best. We encourage you to take risks. And we offer a world of rewards and benefits for performance. We believe the most important is the opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado/Connecticut/Nevada residents is $134,200 to $257,700. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.