Executive Chef, Aztec Stadium
Make thousands of hungry fans cheer for more.
Why Join Aztec Shops? One of the largest retail and hospitality service providers in San Diego, Aztec Shops Ltd. is nearing a century of recognized excellence in service to the San Diego State University community and beyond, including 34,000 enrolled students and more than 400,000 living alumni. Whether it is fulfilling full time career positions - all of which include generous health, dental, and retirement benefit plans and more - or seasonal student work, we offer our prospective team members a rewarding portfolio of opportunities. Apply today and grow with us!
You're the consummate pro who loves to teach others and demonstrate your world-class skills on a large stage. Perfect for a born leader and strategic manager with an incredible eye for detail, this is your major opportunity to make your skills felt and appreciated by thousands of appreciative fans of great cuisine. Guide our team as:
Salary - Commensurate with Experience
Aztec Stadium located in Mission Valley on an expanded campus, Opening September 2022
Aztec Shops, Ltd.
San Diego State University
San Diego, California
The Stadium will host over 30 full facility events that range from college football to professional soccer and concerts.
The Role: Leading the Team to Success
The highly talented and inspiring individual we select for this important role will directly oversee the production, menu/recipe development, and quality of the culinary program for concessions, catering, and premium operations for Aztec Stadium at San Diego State University.
We're counting on you to create cuisine that is consistently innovative and exceeds guest expectations for taste and presentation.
Responsibilities: Planning to Win
- Lead and cook by example while providing guidance to all team members.
- Establish standards for menu content and ensure execution of all menus.
- Develop, maintain, and ensure adherence to recipes, portion specifications and preparation standards for all items.
- Develop excellent working relationships with branded partners/third-party vendors, while successfully executing brand guidelines.
- Evaluate and recommend new products and ingredients.
- Develop culinary concepts, including kitchen layout and operation strategies on all new building and remodeling projects.
- Monitor and ensure compliance for inspections, handling, and storage for all food, supplies, linens, and equipment; establish security/internal controls and sanitation.
- Establish, maintain and ensure compliance with food quality/production/cost-control standards and related procedures and methods.
- Take accountability for compliance with local, state, and federal health, safety and employment laws and regulations.
- Ensure all culinary operations have adequate food supplies in advance of events.
Staffing and Development
- Lead, supervise, and optimize productivity with a positive and professional approach.
- Provide supervision, leadership, training, and development for all staff including production chefs, sous chefs, assistant cooks, and student culinary employees.
- Recruit, train, develop, and evaluate managerial, full-time, and part-time staff, including knife training and food handler training for all new employees.
- Manage and develop all culinary staff: Hire, terminate, and discipline employees; set work priorities; conduct staff meetings; coordinate training; evaluate performance; and direct work assignments to ensure effective operations.
- Research, formulate, and recommend new or upgraded policies and procedures.
- Completes and maintain ServSafe Managers certification.
- Develop operational strategies to address customer survey results and feedback.
- Interact directly with guests and VIPs.
- Address complaints and resolve problems.
- Hold the team accountable to steps of service to deliver great guest service and respond/assists in any departmental guest service issue.
- Manage recipe database in Food Pro and take an active role in inventory management.
- Maintain a consistent presence within premium spaces.
- Manage special dietary needs.
- Practice proper product control and handling of all inventory and equipment and develop strategies to evaluate and control culinary team products and services.
- Prepare financial projections and forecasts cost/benefits for new projects, implement operational plans to achieve profit and growth goals, and monitor expenditures.
- Control all food and culinary labor costs daily and conduct inventory monthly.
- Control inventory costs, portions, and minimize waste.
- Assist executive general manager in preparing annual budgets.
Credentials: What You Need to Perform at This Level
- Five or more years of experience as an executive chef in a high-volume sports or entertainment venue required; certificate or degree in culinary arts preferred.
- Proven leadership, strategic thinking, planning, communications, time-management, and computer skills are essential.
- Strong financial skills, and three or more years of experience in preparation and analysis of financial P&L and budgeting required.
- Computer savvy and proficiency in Microsoft Office products a must.
- Serv Safe certification and Management Food Handler certificate required.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including nights, weekends and holidays as needed required.
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to changing situations while maintaining a consistently high-quality product and standard of excellence.
In addition to a competitive salary, this position comes with an excellent benefits package, including CalPERS retirement plan, 403 B retirement savings plan (after 1,000 hours of employment), medical, dental, vision, & basic life/AD&D insurances, flexible spending plan, tuition reimbursement, paid vacation days, sick leave, and employee discount.
Get in the game at the highest level—apply now.
Note: Verification of Applicant Provided Information will be required as part of hiring process.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled