Sr HR Data Analyst (100144)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
The Sr. Data Visualization Analyst (Sr. DVA) role serves as liaison between business SMEs, project teams, Technical teams, senior and other stakeholders with focus on data visualization and storytelling, and relevant solution delivery. The Sr. DVA is responsible for evaluating, understanding, translating and presenting information in ways that are universally understandable or easy to interpret, and spot patterns, trends and correlations. These representations include charts, graphs, dashboard, infographics and other pictorial diagrams. The Sr. DVA will understand and use data science as well as technology tools to communicate and deliver information expressed as visual, predictive, and/or prescriptive analytics based on HR’s operational & business needs.
The Sr. DVA performs a variety of duties related to data including conducting full life cycle analysis from requirements gathering to data collection and creating reports/data visualizations. This position provides independent, capable professional performance of assigned tasks and escalates when necessary. The Sr. DVA stays current on emerging IT and data trends, identifies opportunities for improvement and cost savings and works with Digital HR team & business partners to determine new ways to use data. The Sr. DVA responsible for mentoring and coaching of Digital HR team members to elevate and strengthen the team’s data analytics understanding and skills. This also includes business partner if/when appropriate.Key Accountabilities
- Making large and/or complex data more accessible, understandable and usable
- Transforming, improving and integrating data, depending on the business requirements
- Combining the data result sets across multiple sources (also known as the data federation)
- Delivering the data in a useful and appealing way to users
- Internal abstract data visualization involving production of graphical representations of data that has no spatial elements
- Identification of data correlation & development of data mapping
- Work closely with business partners to understand and anticipate their data needs by gathering and analyzing internal application data needs by means of interviews, workflow analyses and facilitated discussions
- Interpret data, analyze results using statistical techniques and provide ongoing reports
- Develop and implement databases, data collection systems, data analytics and other strategies that optimize statistical efficiency and quality
- Acquire data from primary or secondary data sources and maintain integrations & data integrity
- Identify, analyze, and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets
- Filter and “clean” data by reviewing computer reports, printouts, and performance indicators to locate and correct code problems
- Work with management to prioritize business and information needs
- Locate and define new process improvement opportunities
- Performs data conversions, imports, and exports of data within and between systems.
- Merges BI data from disparate systems and applications.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to see and/or uncover the ‘bigger picture’ as it relates to data trends, patterns, and correlations, and come to new conclusions based on the findings
- Comfortable with juggling facts, figures, and number crunching
- Ability to design and build data sets preferable
- Excellent Math skills
- Excellent Critical thinking skills
- Advanced SQL & Excel skills
- Knowledge of statistics and experience using statistical packages for analyzing datasets (Excel, SPSS, SAS etc)
- Technical expertise regarding data models, database design development, data mining and segmentation techniques, building data visualizations
- Strong understanding & application of Relational Database Management Systems
- Strong experience using Business Intelligence and Data Visualization tools including Power BI and/or QuickSight
- Adept at queries, report writing and presenting findings
- Ability to work with others and participate in a team environment.
- Self-motivated; willing to work under pressure and stress at times on multiple projects simultaneously.
- 5+ years in data analytics and demonstrated aptitude with QuickSight, Power BI or similar data visualization software required.
- 5+ years in data modeling, data scrubbing, and data quality reviews required.
- 5+ years working with large corporate-wide business data sets and critical business metrics required.
- 7+ years of functional experience in a business function preferred
- 5+ years of subject matter expertise and/or business analysis skills preferred
- 5+ years of relevant experience in Data Governance and Data Quality preferred
- Experience with predictive & prescriptive analytics a must
- Experience in eliciting business requirements from stakeholders and translating into working technical solutions.
- Experience using HCM solutions, specifically SuccessFactors/SAP a plus
- Experience using lean principles including conducting empathy interviews, value stream mapping and continual service improvement preferable
- Bachelor’s degree in Math, Statistics, Computer Science, Information Systems or equivalent relevant work experience.
- Advanced degree preferred.
- Up to 10% travel as required
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.