Director of DEI Strategy (724537100)
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
The Executive Department heads the office Management Team, and works in conjunction with the Board of Directors, to guarantee the overall functioning of MSF-USA and MSF-USA's involvement in the larger MSF movement.
Medecins Sans Frontieres/Doctors Without Borders USA (MSF USA) is committed to deepening our transformation into a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization. To further this goal, MSF USA is seeking a Director of DEI Strategy (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion) provide critical strategic insights using and designing people and program analytics, accompanying implementation of best practices, and ensuring cross functional alignment of goals and execution.
The Director will drive strategic collaborations and new initiatives forward and ensure that early-stage DEI initiatives are successfully designed and facilitated into mature projects. While each Management Team member and all staff are responsible for ensuring DEI is centered in all aspects of the organization, the Director will partner across departments to ensure that strategies and initiatives are on track, stakeholders are engaged, and that MSF USA is making progress towards our goals and intended impacts. The position is primarily an advocate, internal expert, and engagement leader to ensure sustained leadership in DEI across all functions. The ideal candidate will bring exemplary organizational skills and strategic vision to support the transformation of MSF USA into an anti-racist, inclusive, and equitable organization.
Lead the analysis and evaluation of current strategy and initiatives (40%)
- Provide analytical evaluation of current initiatives and support the development of outcome metrics and resources mapping/proposals.
- Evaluate the strategic plan and annual plan to ensure that DEI is considered and centered in the design, content, and metrics.
- Review and make recommendations for improvement in existing strategies, policies and initiatives including recruitment, retention and communications.
- To improve employee engagement and in collaboration with the DEI Council, design and implement an annual DEI survey to measure the impact of internal DEI strategies.
- Provide leadership consultation for the Management Team and Executive on addressing both challenges and opportunities in DEI as they may occur.
- Ensure DEI is centered in the policies developed for work setup during the pandemic (engagement, location, return policies) and the development of the MSF USA workplace of the future.
Elevate the fluency of the organization in concepts and best practices related to DEI (40%)
- Collaborate with Learning and Development to provide a training and development plan for the Board, management, and staff to improve understanding of best practices.
- Collaborate with Field Human Resources to inform recruitment processes and predeparture training including proposals for anti-racist trainings that recognize and address the power imbalance inherent in humanitarian crises.
- Collaborate with Human Resources on recruiting strategies for domestic and seconded staff.
- Collaborate with Communications and Development to elevate the understanding of public facing staff on DEI best practices including imaging and messaging.
Develop an external engagement plan for MSF USA (20%)
- Design and facilitate an external engagement plan for international platforms and identify opportunities and strategies to elevate and lead movement wide.
- Collaborate with Communications and Development to design and facilitate implementation of an external engagement plan for donors and the public to clearly communicate and demonstrate the importance of DEI for our organization.
Reports To: Deputy Executive Director and this is a 2 year term limited position
Any combination of education and experience that demonstrates a sophisticated understanding of DEI strategies and organizational change. This may include the following:
- 5 or more years of experience in developing and implementing diversity initiatives, including experience working with and creating collaborative and productive working relationships among multicultural and/or international populations. Community organizing and non-profit leadership with proven DEI leadership experience will also be considered.
- Proven record of accomplishment in implementing equity and justice initiatives, including experience creating collaborative and productive working relationships, and interest in applying those skills in a mission driven non-profit setting.
- Demonstrated ability to design, implement and evaluate DEI strategies and programming.
- Demonstrated skills in influencing and leading groups, problem solving, organizational development.
- Knowledge of anti-racist, diversity, equity, and inclusion principles and experience using them to build capacity and power through education, activism, and engagement.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Excellent coaching, mentoring, and facilitating skills.
- Ability to connect with and relate to a broad spectrum of people; ability to meet people where they are.
- Ability to work effectively across all levels of the organization as an advocate for DEI.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and equity.
Please note that relocation assistance and visa sponsorship will be offered for this position.
No phone calls or emails please. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled.
MSF-USA/Doctors Without Borders is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No employee, or applicant for employment, shall be discriminated against in any term or condition of employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law. We are constantly striving to make our organization anti-racist. Diversity, equity and inclusion are core values. As an employee, you become part of that mission. We expect this same commitment from our staff.
Pay Class & Contract Type
Regular FT Salaried Exempt
Starting salary High 110's to mid 120's (commensurate with experience)
Working Time (Hours Per Week)