HR Business Partner (101114)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
PLEASE NOTE: In order for American Water to evaluate decisions about new regulations, reintegration, and safe operating practices, all employees are required to report their vaccination status.Primary Role
To serve as the primary HR Business Partner for the assigned business groups and ensure alignment of Business and HR strategies while servicing HR Delivery. The HR Business Partner position is responsible for aligning business objectives with employees and management in designated business units/groups. The position serves as a consultant to business and line leaders on Human Resource related matters. The HRBP acts as a business partner, employee experience influencer and change agent. The role assesses and anticipates HR related needs and communicating business needs proactively with HR Centers of Expertise and HR Leadership. The HRBP seeks to develop agile, integrated, value-added solutions. They will formulate partnerships across the business to deliver solutions that reflect organizational values, culture and strategic objectives. The role may include interactions with vendors and service providers. The HRBP will maintain an effective level of business literacy about the business unit/group’s financial goals, long range and midrange plans, culture and regulatory and industry trends.Key Accountabilities
- Partner with Business Leaders to grow and build talent and technical capability for the respective business units/groups
- Support Business and Line Leaders in the development and implementation of customized strategies that enable and empower teams through periods of rapid change
- Provide coaching to Business and Line Leaders to support Employee Experience, Talent Development and Performance Management
- Provide coaching to Business and Line Leaders in areas of problem solving, conflict resolution, compliance and team effectiveness
- Partner with Employee Relations Business Partners to provide support to Business and Line leaders on employee relations issues
- Partner with Compensation on internal and external pay equity, job leveling and org structure to motivate, develop and retain talent
- Provide insight and support implementation of high impact strategic initiatives in partnership with Business Leaders and HR Centers of Expertise Ensure successful resolution of ER/LR issues in partnership with the ERBP and LRBP
- Should be able to work independently and take initiative to find/develop solutions for business requirements Should be a fast learner with attention to detail
- Sound knowledge of key Human Resources functions including Organization Design, Inclusion & Diversity, Change Management, Workforce Planning, Performance Management, Talent Acquisition, Talent Development, Compensation and Succession Planning
- Sound knowledge of Labor Law, Compliance and Regulatory requirements, EEO, Employee and Labor relations Good knowledge of HRIS systems and data analysis
- Effective business acumen
- Exceptional communication and relationship building abilities
- SPHR or SHRM – SCP will be a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in related field is required. Master’s/MBA will be a plus. Minimum of 10 years relevant experience.
- Experience in supporting customer service operations, remote and geographically dispersed employees and both union and non-union groups is preferred.
- Lead or be a major contributor in departmental / functional organization redesign or significant organizational change initiatives.
- Should have been involved in recruitment and development of managerial roles in assigned area. Should have participated in multiple compensation, performance and development review cycles. Should have experience with ER/LR matters through investigations and issue resolution.
- Participation in cross-functional project teams and involvement with multiple employee segments.
15% within the United States.Competencies Champions safetyCollaboratesCultivates innovationCustomer obsessedDrives ResultsNimble learning
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.