When you join Verizon
Verizon’s nine global Security Operations Centers analyze billions of events for our customers. And with over a decade of experience producing our annual Data Breach Investigations Report, we have both the credibility and expertise to define what a secure enterprise truly looks like. As one of the largest global IP networks, we have unprecedented insight into security threats. As a Verizon Cybersecurity expert, you’ll be at the forefront, helping to protect and manage the future of our networks.
What you’ll be doing...
As a Security Analyst with Verizon's Managed Security Services team, you'll respond to and investigate network events and threats. Tier I/Tier II Security Analysts at Verizon have at least one year of experience working in a security-related field or technical hands-on troubleshooting role, like help desk, enabling them to undertake a wide variety of tasks across a number of different platforms. Analysts provide critical value to the Security Incident and Event Management (SIEM) workflow; they are the 24x7 “eyes on glass” who review alerts and escalate as needed.
The specific schedule of this position is overnights - 11 p.m. - 7:30 a.m. Tuesday through Saturday
- Provide “eyes on glass” near real-time security monitoring in a 24x7 environment by monitoring security infrastructure and security alarm devices for Indicators of Compromise utilizing a proprietary SIEM and cybersecurity tools;
- Perform near real-time health monitoring of alerts and escalating critical alerts in compliance with the service level agreement;
- Detect security incidents and analyze threats for complex and/or escalated security events
- Respond to customer Requests For Information including using Linux command line skills to query raw logs for IOCs, answering questions about the MSS infrastructure, and features of the SIEM including correlation engine while recommending best practices;
- Perform level 1 assessment of incoming alerts (assessing the priority of the alert, determining severity of alert in respect to customer environment, correlating additional details) and coordinate with tier II/III for critical priority incidents, if necessary
- Perform incident response activities utilizing customer SIEM and cybersecurity toolkits
- Utilize the SOC knowledge base and provide input on revisions as needed
Where you'll be working...
This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes some work from home and some assigned office days as set by the manager.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or one or more years of work experience.
- Experience in a technical customer service role, like systems admin, help desk, etc.
- Experience following documented processes and procedures.
- Experience with health and availability monitoring.
- Must be able to qualify for a GSA Public Trust clearance
- Must be able to work the shift of this position which is overnights - 11 p.m. - 7:30 a.m. Tuesday through Thursday
Even better if you have:
- One or more years of experience in a Security Analyst position
- Incident response experience utilizing different SIEMs and industry best practices
- Understanding of device logging and ingestion, network troubleshooting, and device troubleshooting
- Understanding of threat landscape and indicators of compromise
- Experience with incident response techniques related to network forensic analysis
- Experience investigating security incidents with SIEMs, use case development/tuning, and understanding of incident response
- Experience with IPS including analyzing alerts generated by the inspection with consideration to how signatures are written, and how to identify false positives
- Experience with implementing changes on next generation firewalls including firewall policy aned content inspection configuration (Fortimanager, Fortigate, Cisco, Palo Alto, Checkpoint, etc.)
- Skilled with Linux command line
- Scripting knowledge in one of the following: Python, Powershell, Bash Shell, Java, Ansible, etc
- Security Certifications: SANS GIAC or GCIH, CompTIA Security+, CCNP-Security, Palo Alto CNSE, Fortinet NSE, CySA+, GCED, CEH, or comparable security-related certifications
- Exceptional problem solving skills
- Proactive in engaging with customers and Verizon management teams
- Experience with customer service and supporting service desk functions such as IAM
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in written and oral English
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.