Security Policy Engineer ( 564914-1F )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is a leading provider of technology, communications, information and entertainment products, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our ambition and united in our shared purpose to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
This position is on a high visibility team responsible for supporting the implementation of firewall / IP network security policies in the Wireline and Wireless networks. You’ll utilize complex methods of procedure (MOPs) to configure and implement security policies across multiple vendor types, including Juniper, F5, Palo Alto, and Cisco.
Quickly mastering the current Wireline and Wireless processes will be crucial, as we are moving toward a single streamlined process, utilizing the Olympus and Firemon platforms.
- Work closely with the Implementation and Security teams as the new platforms are developed and rolled out, to ensure a seamless transition from old to new process, and ensure comprehensive MOPs are in place for the entire team.
- Gather all requirements, planning and scheduling change control windows, conducting comprehensive pre and post checks, and working closely with peer support teams to quickly troubleshoot and address issues.
- Implement software patches, configuration changes, and lifecycle upgrades on multiple types of firewalls.
This group provides 24x7 network support, and this position will require the willingness to work nights, typically on a rotational basis, depending on the needs of the business.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager.
- Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Strong knowledge of Firewall / IP Network Security policy configuration and implementation.
- Strong Knowledge of IP network services and protocols.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology, a technical discipline, or a related field.
- Six or more years of Firewall / IP Network Security experience.
- CCNA/CCNP certified or related training/experience.
- Advanced knowledge of TCP/IP networking, including firewalls, routers, Ethernet switching, and load balancing.
- Expertise with Juniper, F5, Palo Alto, Cisco and Fortinet firewalls.
- Experience troubleshooting end to end network connectivity issues.
- Experience deploying software upgrades and configuration changes to critical network equipment.
- Proficiency in one or more scripting languages (Python, SQL, Perl, etc.)
- Ability to be self-motivated, show initiative, and have the capability to work independently.
- Demonstrated effectiveness with managing, driving, and executing multiple issues simultaneously.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.