Senior Security Engineer ( 585770-1E )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
The Senior Security Engineer is part of the Verizon Cyber Defense Engineering protecting Verizon against cyber threats. This Senior Security Engineer will serve as an engineering resource responsible for the care and development of content for the Splunk platform whichincludes, but is not limited to: data modeling, creating custom dashboards, writing uses cases, and runbooks. Youwill work closely with the various internal towers as well as cross-organizational teams on design, content, and facilitating the use of the system.
You'll be active in the threat intelligence community, and be able to apply that knowledge to shape Verizon’s security posture. You'llbe able to understand and solve business problems while managing associated risks and compliance requirements.You'll also need to be comfortable working without direction and have excellent communication skills.
- Performing day to day activities of the Content Team, including
- Supporting, developing, executing testing of new content rules,
- Creating signature, behavioral, and statistical content for the TMC
- Adding, changing, and removing rules
- Documenting additions, deletions, and modifications of content rules.
- Production and update of all ‘content’ related information in the SIEM Platform.
- Maintaining direct and regular interaction with the TMC and organizational stakeholders to enhance content across the platforms, and mature the security program, based on risk posture, threat landscape, and changing business requirements.
- Develop and Deliver regular training sessions for the TMC on content
- Working with cross-organization teams to evaluate the quality of provided data sources and recommending improvements to the sensing capabilities and coverage.
- Working with the other security functions to identify and apply Cyber Threat Intelligence from internal and external sources to the existing Content Library.
- Supporting the technical security and engineering design review for proposed IT infrastructure changes, and understanding how these changes drive adjustments across the content process.
- Identify manual work drivers, and make recommendations / solutions on how to automate those tasks.
Where you'll be working...
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have...
- Bachelors degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Three or more years working within the information security field with emphasis on security content development, SIEM platforms, and security event and incident analysis.
- Three or more years of experience with SPLUNK ES, including development of content, ingestion of feeds, and other platform administration functions.
- Three or more years of scripting / programming languages.
Even better if you have...
- Direct Experience integrating SIEM with other security platforms / ticket systems
- Ability to convey a strong presence, professional image, and deal confidently with complex technical problems
- Ability to drive process improvements and identify gaps
- Proactive in engaging with customers, client executives and other Verizon teams
- Ability to excel in a team, as an individual, in a fast-paced deadline driven organization
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field
- Professional certifications to include CEH, CISSP, SANS GCIA, or CISM
- Experience with other SIEM technologies (e.g. ArcSight),
- Experience with security products (e.g Crowdstrike, Threatstream)
- Expertise in investigating and quantifying long running trends in the enterprise environment
- Knowledge of working with analysis of security and user behavioral patterns within a corporate environment
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).