2022 Law School Intern for IP Group (Patent) ( MERCUSR149956ENUS)
As a science-based healthcare company with a longstanding commitment to inventing and providing important medicines and vaccines, subject to applicable law, we require all U.S. and Puerto Rico based employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless they have an approved medical or religious exemption or accommodation. We are committed to supporting our employees during this process as we work to ensure a safe and healthy work environment.
The Future Talent Program features internships that lasts up to 12 weeks and will include one or more projects. These opportunities can provide you with great development and a chance to see if we are the right company for your long-term goals.
Interns will work closely with experienced IP attorneys on various projects. Projects may include:
- Participating in drafting, filing and prosecuting patent applications before the USPTO and patent offices outside the United States.
- Working with IP Group attorneys to analyze our Company and third party patent filings and applications
- Working with IP Group attorneys to develop patent strategies
- Helping IP Group attorneys counsel our Company researchers on patent issues, including freedom to operate and patentability studies
- Assisting IP Group attorneys in support of current or potential patent litigation
- Working with IP Group attorneys on obtaining trademark protection for our Company products
The intern will gain valuable exposure to the intellectual property and drug development processes used by the pharmaceutical industry, and to different functional areas within the Company.
A letter of reference from a professor is highly recommended; candidates may attach it in the same section of the profile as their resume.
Required Education and Experience:
- Candidate must have an undergraduate or graduate degree in a science or engineering field, and should be a current law student (full time or part time) pursuing a J.D. degree from an accredited law school, returning to school in fall 2022
- Candidate must be available for the full 10 to 12 week internship
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Candidate should be a 1L law student
- Candidate should have a cumulative undergraduate or graduate GPA of at least 3.0
- Candidate should have a strong understanding of and interest in the pharmaceutical industry
- Candidate should have a strong interest in IP law, and in taking the USPTO patent bar exam
- Candidate should have superior personal character and ethics
- Candidate should have strong personal communication and interpersonal skills
- Candidate should have excellent academic achievement and analytical ability
Our Support Functions deliver services and make recommendations about ways to enhance our workplace and the culture of our organization. Our Support Functions include HR, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Procurement, Administration, Facilities and Security.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us—and start making your impact today.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Employee Status:Intern/Co-op (Fixed Term)
Travel Requirements:No Travel Required
Flexible Work Arrangements:Not Specified
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:3