Federal Regulatory Attorney (44065)
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with the FirstEnergy Service Company, a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [SC00]
The junior to mid-level federal regulatory attorney works on issues related to FirstEnergy’s compliance with the mandatory reliability standards that have been established per Section 215 of the Federal Power Act, and on issues related to FirstEnergy’s participation as a Transmission Owner in the PJM Interconnection, LLC Regional Transmission Organization. As many of these issues will be regulated and adjudicated by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), experience with administrative agency practice and procedure is a plus. As many disputes are litigated in the federal appellate courts, familiarity with appellate practice and procedure is a plus. In addition, this position will support state regulatory attorneys on combined federal-state matters.
The attorney supports FirstEnergy’s transmission investment business plan, and monitors/participates in PJM stakeholder processes. The attorney works as part of a team on complex regulatory litigation and supervises outside counsel and consultants. Over time, the attorney may take on other assignments in the federal regulatory or company legal department space, as needs arise.
- Handling legal matters in the areas of federal public utility regulatory law, with special emphasis on mandatory reliability standards, and PJM transmission matters.
- Working collaboratively with internal and external counsel, consultants, and internal business clients and staff on project assignments.
- Drafting and reviewing agreements, regulatory filings, and other legal documents in addition to other corporate communications and documents.
- Advising internal business clients and other FirstEnergy counsel on matters within the attorney’s responsibility.
- Providing valuable strategic and business advice.
- Travelling to participate in PJM stakeholder meetings and processes; attend meetings, hearings, and conferences in Washington, D.C., and other venues; and support business clients at FirstEnergy’s headquarters in Akron, Ohio, as well as other facilities in the FirstEnergy footprint as required.
- J.D. from an accredited university is required.
- Member in good standing of at least one state bar is required.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience required in a litigation practice at a regional or national law firm or national industry association.
- Complex administrative agency litigation experience preferred.
- Demonstrated excellent legal research and writing skills.
- Demonstrated strategic legal thinking, and problem-solving skills with the ability to provide legal advice considering business context and factors.
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills to build and maintain relationships with internal business clients, outside counsel, and external stakeholders
- Strong work ethic and demonstrated ability to understand new areas.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team