Legal & Compliance Associate Director ( MERCUSR114786ENUS)
Join us and be part of our purposeful journey of invention!
We partner with the business to ensure we maintain our company’s values and high ethical standards, comply with the law, protect our people and enhance our reputation. We strive to foster an environment that is inspiring, supportive and diverse.
The Legal & Compliance Associate Director provides legal and compliance advice in connection with Human Health Sales and Marketing organization, as well as Global Support Functions in Puerto Rico and Central America; this position will provide limited support to our Research & Development Division and our Manufacturing Division, as required. Legal services include advising on and preparing documentation for corporate, commercial, labor, antitrust, regulatory, intellectual property legal issues, managing law firms, working with management and executive areas and appropriate regional and headquarters operating staffs critical to the business.
This position is based in Puerto Rico and does not include relocation support.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interprets laws, policies and regulations for Company; advise on business transactions involving internal affairs, stockholders, directors, officers and corporate relations with the general public; assesses and manages legal risks of doing business in Puerto Rico and Central America markets.
- Manages all legal documents, materials and information necessary for proper administration of corporate matters of all entities in the territory, including books and records relating to corporate housekeeping; prepares quarterly and annual legal affairs reports required by Company.
- Assists and advises on the negotiation and drafting of all major contracts and internal legal memos/opinions associated with sales and marketing events after reconciling their compliance with legal and policy requirements and ethical business practice standards.
- Analyzes the legal and ethical aspects of all judicial and extrajudicial claims by or against the Company, directs and coordinates all lawsuits and administrative proceedings, including selection and monitoring of outside counsel for advice in any area of the Company operations.
- Reviews and proactively advises on the legal and ethical aspects of the Company’s marketing plans and promotional materials (as required).
- As for Compliance services, it comprises advising on all Company compliance policies and procedures, including but not limited to patient programs, promotional events in general, reviewing and advising on Foreign Corrupt Practices Act Due Diligences and risks mitigation action plans, conducting Tier 2 investigations and supporting Tier 1 investigations when requested by the Corporate team, participating in the country Compliance committee, the Grants & Donation committee, as well as other compliance advisory boards.
- Manages a paralegal who will directly report to this position.
- Graduated from a law school in the US or Puerto Rico accredited by the applicable accreditation council in Puerto Rico. Admitted to practice law in Puerto Rico.
- At least eight years of legal practice as an Attorney with law firm or corporate legal department.
- Experience in commercial, labor, antitrust, litigation and regulatory required; experience in Puerto Rico and federal governmental affairs desirable.
- Experience in US Federal Drug Administration and anti-kick back laws desirable.
- License to practice law in Puerto Rico required; license to practice in federal court, desirable.
- Effective communications skills in English and Spanish, both written and spoken.
- The employee is required to travel within, and outside Puerto Rico approximate 20% of the time.
Our Support Functions deliver services and make recommendations about ways to enhance our workplace and the culture of our organization. Our Support Functions include HR, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Procurement, Administration, Facilities and Security.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:1