Associate Counsel, Strategic Corporate Transactions Legal (SCT Legal) Commercial
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Associate Counsel, Strategic Corporate Transactions Legal (SCT Legal) Commercial
Bristol-Myers Squibb is looking for an experienced transactional attorney to join its Law Department. Bristol-Myers Squibb is a global BioPharma company firmly focused on its mission to discover, develop and deliver innovative medicines that help patients prevail over serious diseases. We focus on the needs of health care professionals, patients, employees, shareholders and our communities, giving maximum priority to developing innovative medicines, accelerating pipeline development, delivering solid growth, continuing to manage costs, and adhering to high standards of business conduct and ethics. We are looking for an experienced transactional attorney who can be successful within our fast-paced, adaptive and focused culture.
This position will be primarily responsible for providing legal advice, guidance and support related to HQ, US, global and above-market business transactions for Bristol-Myers Squibb’s Commercial organization.
Position will report to Counsel, SCT Legal Commercial
- Negotiate and provide direct counseling to internal clients on routine and moderate complexity transactional matters in support of the company’s commercial functions.
- Advise internal clients in structuring and advising on various transactions in a way that advances the company’s strategy while addressing legal and regulatory risks.
- Provide support within the SCT Legal team for agreements pertaining to BMS’ Commercial business unit functions.
- Draft, negotiate and finalize routine and non-routine contracts in an effective, efficient and time-sensitive manner.
- Identify and resolve legal issues and identify and help resolve business issues arising from related transactions.
- Provide legal advice and legal interpretation on rights and obligations under executed agreements.
- Assist with resolution of disputes under executed agreements.
- Proactively identify the need for, and assist with the creation of, new or improved contract templates for common transactions.
- Proactively identify the need for, prepare, and deliver training, written guidance and other aids for internal clients.
- Proactively advise internal clients regarding transaction issues in close collaboration with lawyers from other practice areas and relevant subject matter experts throughout the company.
- Consistently prioritize significant workload based on business needs and communicate this prioritization.
- Work cooperatively with peers to leverage skills and knowledge within the SCT Legal team and the Law Department.
- Actively contribute to maintaining a solid SCT Legal team, through participation in discussions, sharing best practices, collaboration on projects, etc.
- Demonstrate a service-oriented approach to advising internal client groups.
- Demonstrate full commitment to Bristol-Myers Squibb’s mission and values.
- Law degree from recognized university. Qualification to practice law in New Jersey or ability to obtain NJ in-house counsel limited license (including application in process).
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in a mix of a major law firm or the legal function of a major corporation, including through equivalent experience with contracting and transactional matters in an operational or contract management capacity.
- Practical experience drafting and negotiating agreements related to the bio/pharmaceutical or life-sciences industry, including master services agreements, associated statements of work, and confidentiality agreements.
- Strong preference for candidates having experience drafting and negotiating agreements pertaining to advertising, marketing, media, patient support programs, co-pay programs, market access, rebate agreements, specialty pharmacy, speakers, consulting, market research and licensing.
- Has working knowledge of life-science/pharmaceutical law, including regulations, rules and laws relating to, anti-kickback, anti-bribery, intellectual property, clinical trials, financial transparency, promotional review, promotional compliance, best price and data privacy.
- Understanding of health care industry.
- Excellent administrative and organization skills.
- Has excellent interpersonal skills and can successfully manage internal client expectations and can work/operate well with a variety of personalities/capabilities in cross-functional teams, matrix environment.
- Creative, thoughtful and practical problem-solving skills.
- Must have high integrity, ability to assess risk, ability to make decisions and think strategically while applying knowledge of applicable legal issues.
- Listens to internal client needs and communicates with clients with confidence and diplomacy.
- Excellent verbal and writing skills and business judgment are required.
- Ability to communicate effectively with management and senior management personnel.
- Ability to work independently, effectively and efficiently and perform against broad objectives.
- Possess strong business acumen and strong work ethic.
- Enthusiastic, energetic and self-motivated.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.