Federal Regulatory and Legal Affairs Counsel ( 584074-1A )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Verizon is seeking an experienced and talented lawyer/regulatory professional to join its Federal Regulatory & Legal Affairs group. The group’s primary practice areas include federal regulatory and legislative matters and related litigation for all Verizon business units.
- Working with the business and policy teams to develop and advocate positions that advance company’s interest before the FCC, NTIA, and other federal and state agencies and regulators. This will involve developing and handling complex legal, factual, technical, and economic issues.
- Advocating the company’s positions in proceedings before the Federal Communications Commission, NTIA, and other agencies.
- Managing a docket of rulemakings and other regulatory proceedings addressing matters of interest to Verizon.
- Developing and maintaining productive relationships with external stakeholders, including at trade groups, within regulatory bodies, at public interest organizations, and at other third parties.
- Managing appellate litigation concerning federal regulation of Verizon.
- Developing case strategy, writing and editing briefs and motions, conducting fact investigations, identifying and interviewing witnesses, attending or conducting oral arguments, and preparing for, managing, and conducting regulatory proceedings.
- Providing legal support to federal and state legislative team in advocating on legislation with potential regulatory impact on Verizon’s businesses.
- Assisting in the formulation of business and regulatory solutions to problems that expose the company to risk.
- Providing counseling to various business groups to eliminate, or comply with, regulatory obligations.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- JD degree and six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Active and in good standing with a state bar and, if necessary, eligible for limited In-House Counsel Licensure.
- Three years of work experience at a top tier law firm or with state or federal government.
- Experience with complex litigation, federal or state regulatory and administrative proceedings, and/or government investigations.
- Willingness to travel up to 25%.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Academic record, including high performance at top tier law school
- Writing and oral advocacy skills.
- Ability to understand and handle complex technical and economic issues.
- Regulatory experience (particularly with FCC).
- Experience dealing with decision makers and third-party constituencies.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).