When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
The Environmental, Social & Governance (“ESG”) & Accounting Policy Consultant will be primarily responsible for the preparation of periodic Climate and Human Capital related disclosures included within the Forms 10-K and 10-Q filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”) and other external reports, as well as the completion of research and documentation for technical accounting assessments and Verizon accounting policy matters.
- Responsible for the preparation of Climate and Human Capital disclosures in periodic filings with the SEC, including Forms 10-K and 10-Q footnotes and Management’s Discussion and Analysis as well as ESG Reports and Proxy Statements.
- Responsible for preparing proper XBRL tagging with the respective Climate and Human Capital disclosures.
- Work to develop solutions to accounting / disclosure issues and identify possible solutions
- Calculation of carbon abatement and GHG emissions scope 1, 2 and 3 calculations for inclusion in SEC filings.
- Research accounting issues and prepare accounting documentation to ensure compliance with GAAP.
- Review and provide technical guidance for material transactions and complex accounting issues.
- Establish, maintain and support compliance with company-wide accounting policies.
- Research emerging accounting and reporting issues and prepare and submit comment letters on behalf of the Company.
- Collaborate with the ESG and Risk Management teams to ensure consistent ESG target and metric reporting
- Develop and maintain relationships with individuals across the business as needed to resolve accounting and reporting issues and open items.
- Serve as key contact to the external auditors and assist in fulfilling audit requests.
- Develop and present technical accounting training sessions to accounting and finance employees.
Where you'll be working...
This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience working in public accounting or SEC reporting experience.
- Knowledge of US-GAAP and SEC requirements and accounting practices.
- Willingness to travel up to approximately 25% of the time.
Even better if you have:
- Masters in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Economics, or equivalent.
- CPA, or in process of obtaining with parts passed.
- Strong analytical and communication skills.
- Ability to meet strict deadlines in compressed time periods.
- Fundamentals of Sustainability Accounting (“FSA”) certification or in process of obtaining
- Experience with ESG reporting and/or environmental accounting.
- Working knowledge of the complexities of a large global company and ability to operate within a matrix environment.
- Demonstrated experience in continuous improvement initiatives, root cause analysis and project management.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.