Call Center Supervisor, Patient Support Center - Torrance, CA
Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data and resources they need to feel their best. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as we help advance health equity on a global scale. Here, you will find talented peers, comprehensive benefits, a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, career growth opportunities and your life's best work.(sm)
Responsible for supervising the 24-hour / 7-days-a-week / 365-days-a-year operations and activities of the Patient Support Center to meet the department’s customer service and patient satisfaction standards. This position has 24-hour accountability of the non-clinical operations unit within the Patient Support Center.
Hybrid work schedule: In office at least 3 days per week.
- Consistently exhibits behavior and communication skills that demonstrate HealthCare Partners’ (HCP) commitment to superior customer service, including quality, care and concern with each and every internal and external customer
- Performs all duties of a Patient Support Center Representative, Lead
- Supervises the daily operations of the department including all workflows, turnaround times, production levels and staffing schedules on a daily and monthly basis, within budgetary and business planning guidelines
- Utilizes HealthCare Partners (HCP) systems to resolve customer needs such as appointments, authorizations, claims, invoices, eligibility, benefits, appeals
- Assures coverage of all shifts as required. Develops and approves staff work schedules
- Takes escalated calls as well as high priority and difficult cases
- Translates oral information into concise and accurate written documentation
- Manages own work queues. Monitors and oversees staff work queues
- Drafts policies and procedures and documents the work processes as required. Drafts revisions of policies and procedures as required. Works with management team for approval of all P&Ps
- Ensures adherence to triage and pharmacy protocols as well as departmental and company policies and procedures
- Recognizes financial, medical and legal risks based on data collected during customer interactions and follows appropriate procedures
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with other HealthCare Partners (HCP) departments
- Prepares and presents reports to department management
- Oversight of all timecards, PIP’s, and suggest corrective action plans for are employees and trainees
- Presents information formally and informally to educationally and culturally diverse groups
- Represents department in company projects
- Mentors, coaches and motivates staff. Monitors and evaluates departmental and staff performance and administers staff evaluations
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma or GED or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of customer service experience in call center environment
- 2+ years of supervisory experience in call center environment
- 1+ years of experience in call center environment
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college and/or a professional certification requiring formal education beyond a two-year college
- 3+ years of Call Center supervisory experience in the healthcare industry
- ACD telephone experience
- Managed care and/or ambulatory care experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Computer literate
- Proficiency in Microsoft office applications (Word, Excel)
- Ability to type 35-40 wpm
- Ability to work in rotating shifts
- Excellent telephone skills and etiquette
- Excellent written communication skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills in person and on the phone
- Good command of the English language
- Demonstrated active listening skills
- Ability to multi-task and work as a team player
- Customer service-oriented
- Ability to maintain composure in a challenging situation
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (may be required)
Careers with Optum. Our objective is to make health care simpler and more effective for everyone. With our hands at work across all aspects of health, you can play a role in creating a healthier world, one insight, one connection and one person at a time. We bring together some of the greatest minds and ideas to take health care to its fullest potential, promoting health equity and accessibility. Work with diverse, engaged and high-performing teams to help solve important challenges.
*All employees working remotely will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.