Executive Director, Launch Excellence
Executive Director, Launch Excellence
Jan 29, 2024
About the Role
The Executive Director, Launch Excellence is responsible for developing, leading and implementing enterprise governance, frameworks, capabilities and tools for new product launches in order to deliver superior innovative results consistently and systematically. This individual will ensure critical steps are implemented with quality in a timely manner across all products and functions in order to:
o Create and embed best-in-class processes, tools framework, capabilities including addressing key business questions for a best in class insight generation early on, systematic pressure testing of launch prep at each key interval, identification of critical make it or break it and timely resolution
o Enable the delivery of best-in-class launches impact across the lifecycle thanks to clarity, visibility & transparency of readiness at L-3, L-2, L-1 and where required proactive course correction
o Continue learnings and benchmarking internally and externally, inside and outside pharma industry
o Ensure brand choices and resource allocation for maximum impact
o Continuously innovate our approach to launches to stay ahead of the curve and trends
o Shape in partnership with P&O the culture and talent agenda to support the vision to become a launch machine.
o Tap into functional organizational launch teams to create and integrated approach
• Oversee team responsible for launch excellence.
• Drive strategic thinking for launch excellence CoE, to ensure development and adoption of consistent processes and best practices for upcoming launches.
• Develop capabilities of teams, leading efforts to train and upskill associates by embedding launch capabilities and by building excellence in strategy and execution from previous launch learnings and best practices.
• Act as launch expert and strategic thought-partner to guide, pressure-test and challenge launch teams and coach on agile approaches, workshop design, competitive readiness and scenario planning, launch funding, evidence generation planning and scientific narratives, etc.
o Coach brands to customize launch CoE content for brand specific needs (e.g. blueprints, archetypes, KPIs specific to a brand) to ensure that approach matches key drivers for a given brand
o Influence, coordinate and partner with launch teams at key decision points, providing suggestions for areas of additional refinement and to share potential best practices in order to ensure proper launch readiness assessments at key decision points (from pre-launch milestones through launch and beyond)
• Develop, manage and lead a consistent and robust product launch process and governance structure to provide oversight and to ensure consistency of tracking and incorporating best practices across launches, leveraging internal & external insights (inside & outside of pharmaceutical industry)
• Ensure robust strategic thinking is embedded into forecasting process, drawing on external perspectives and best practices to ensure forecasts have been properly pressure-tested with appropriate scenario planning incorporated & consistency across brands and disease-areas
• Provide guidance and lead efforts for the creation of effective intelligence programs (including annual budget planning etc.) in support of key stakeholders involved in integrated product strategy
• Provide long-term launch planning support by providing portfolio view of upcoming launches through frameworks, archetypes and overall resourcing/planning/timing
• Analyze resource allocation to each product in the launch portfolio, considering product archetype and provide recommendations to launch teams and/or senior leadership
• Promote culture of including early US customer input into development plans, Target Product Profiles (TPP), Lifecycle Management plans, Forecasts, ensuring decisions are strategically sound
• Coordinate with IPS and Business Planning Lead to ensure processes are cohesive and are designed to facilitate launch excellence from a strategy and execution standpoint
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $233,600.00 and $350,400.00 per year; however, while salary ranges are effective from 1/1/24 through 12/31/24, fluctuations in the job market may necessitate adjustments to pay ranges during this period. Further, final pay determinations will depend on various factors, including, but not limited to geographical location, experience level, knowledge, skills and abilities. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
This position will be located at the East Hanover, NJ site and will not have the ability to be located remotely. This position will require 10-20% travel as defined by the business (domestic and/ or international).”
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
We are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: Individuals in need of a reasonable accommodation due to a medical condition or disability for any part of the application process, or to perform the essential functions of a position, please let us know the nature of your request, your contact information and the job requisition number in your message:
- Novartis: e-mail [email protected] or call +1 [Register to View]
- Sandoz: e-mail [email protected] or call: +1-[Register to View]
What You will bring to the role:
-Bachelor's Degree is required in relevant area, MBA preferred
• 15+ years in pharmaceutical, biotech, healthcare, medical devices or healthcare consulting industry inclusive of at least 2 different functional areas (Marketing, Patient Services, Product, etc.)
• Track record in launching consistently innovative medicine and strong experience in a product focus organization.
• Multi-industry experience launching products (e.g. consumer, med tech)
• US Commercial Experience and launch experience in the pharma industry
• 2+ years in project management and translation of strategy into execution
• 2+ years leading complex projects requiring global and local alignment
• Experience in project management and translation of strategy into execution
• Strong ability to simplify complex concepts & strategies and “tell a story” orally and in writing
• Strong analytical skills and an ability to generate insights and develop relevant action plans
• Strong influencing skills, and the ability to exercise tact and diplomacy in stressful situations
• Ability to manage multiple priorities and a heavy workload
• Ability to lead and inspire a team, people leadership experience
• Location: East Hanover, NJ; 10-20% travel is required
• 2+ years within a management consulting group (e.g. McKinsey, BCG, Bain)
• MBA or Health Policy Degree / Advanced Degree
• Global or Regional experience (Projects or full time roles or temporary roles for 6 months or more)
• Minimum 3+ year commercial experience preferably with a multi-functional experience in a pharma-ceutical, biotech, healthcare or consulting environment
• Curious, with excellent listening skills; able to challenge current thinking
• Track record of exceptional performance and execution that drives results
• Ability to lead, manage and motivate teams, with or without authority
• Experience working collaboratively across the matrix
Why Novartis?766 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2021, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
US GENERAL MANAGEMENT
East Hanover, NJ
Company / Legal Entity