Clinical Development Medical Director
Clinical Development Medical Director
Oct 30, 2023
About the Role13! The number of medicines Cardio Renal Metabolic (CRM) diseases currently in development at Novartis.
Novartis is deeply committed to transforming the lives of people living with cardiovascular, renal and metabolic diseases. We believe that anyone living with these conditions has the right to a life free from pain, free from symptoms and free from disease - this is our vision for the future.
Our mission is to reimagine medicine to extend and improve people’s lives – and our overall company strategy to achieve this is to Focus Novartis as a leading medicine company powered by data science and advanced therapy platforms
The Clinical Development Medical Director (CDMD) is responsible for leading the strategic planning and management of the assigned clinical program(s) from an end-to-end clinical development perspective. As CDMD in the Renal TA, you will have oversight of the clinical development for the assigned programs and drive execution of the clinical development plan. In addition, you will enable an empowered organization, which can navigate in a matrix environment and adjust quickly to business needs.
Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Providing clinical leadership and strategic medical input for all clinical deliverables in the assigned project or section of a clinical program
• Leading development of clinical sections of trial and program level regulatory documents
• Driving execution the assigned clinical program and/or clinical trial in partnership with global line functions, assigned Global Trial Directors (GTDs), and regional/country medical associates, where applicable
• Supporting (Senior) Global Program Clinical Head (GPCH) in ensuring overall safety of the molecule for the assigned section, and may act as a core member of the Safety Management Team (SMT), supporting overall program safety reporting in collaboration with Patient Safety colleagues
• Supporting the Clinical Development Head (CDH) by providing medical input into Clinical Development Plan (CDP), Integrated Development Plan (IDP) and Clinical Trial Protocol (CTP) reviews, and contributing to/driving development of disease clinical standards for new disease areas
• As a medical expert, supporting the (Sr.) GPCH or CDH in interactions with external and internal stakeholders and decision boards
• May work with NIBR (Novartis Institute of Biomedical Research/ Translational Medical Sciences) to drive transition of pre-PoC (Proof of Concept) projects to DDP (Development Decision Point) and with BD&L (Business Development & Licensing) including target identification and due diligences together with other medical matters, as needed.
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
We are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: Individuals in need of a reasonable accommodation due to a medical condition or disability for any part of the application process, or to perform the essential functions of a position, please let us know the nature of your request, your contact information and the job requisition number in your message:
- Novartis: e-mail [email protected] or call +1 [Register to View]
- Sandoz: e-mail [email protected] or call: +1-[Register to View]
What you bring to the role:
• MD or equivalent medical degree is required in addition to advanced knowledge and clinical training in medical/scientific area; Clinical practice experience 4 years (including residency) and board certification or eligibility in disease area preferred
• Minimum of 7 years of experience in clinical research or drug development
• Experience in an academic clinical research or industry environment spanning clinical activities in Phases I through IV required. • 2 years of contribution to and accomplishment in all aspects of conducting clinical trials (e.g., planning, executing, reporting and publishing) in a global/matrix environment in pharmaceutical industry required.
• Working knowledge of disease area is required, with proven ability to interpret, discuss and present efficacy and safety data relating to clinical trial(s) and proven ability to understand and interpret basic and clinical scientific research reports
• Demonstrated ability to establish effective scientific partnerships with key stakeholders
• Working knowledge of GCP, clinical trial design, statistics, and regulatory and clinical development processes
• Previous global people management experience is preferred, though this may include management in a matrix environment.
Why Novartis: Our purpose is to reimagine medicine to improve and extend people’s lives and our vision is to become the most valued and trusted medicines company in the world. How can we achieve this? With our people. It is our associates that drive us each day to reach our ambitions. Be a part of this mission and join us! Learn more here: https://www.novartis.com/about/strategy/people-and-culture
You can find everything you need to know about our benefits and rewards in the Novartis Life Handbook.
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams’ representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: The Novartis Group of Companies are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] call +1[Register to View] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
Novartis Compensation and Benefit Summary: The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $257,600 - $386,400/year; however, while salary ranges are effective from 1/1/23 through 12/31/23, fluctuations in the job market may necessitate adjustments to pay ranges during this period. Further, final pay determinations will depend on various factors, including, but not limited to geographical location, experience level, knowledge, skills, and abilities. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
East Hanover, NJ
Company / Legal Entity
Research & Development