Executive Director, Therapeutic Area Strategy (Multiple)
Executive Director, Therapeutic Area Strategy (Multiple)
Jan 05, 2024
About the Role236 million. The number of lives that were touched by Novartis medicines in 2022!
At Novartis, we are reimagining medicine to address some of society’s most challenging healthcare issues. We discover and develop breakthrough treatments and find new ways to deliver them to as many people as possible
The Executive Director, Therapeutic Area (TA) Strategy will create and update as appropriate a holistic Therapeutic Area (TA) strategy, for the following Therapeutic Areas (Cardiovascular, Immunology, Neuroscience & Oncology). Provide early-phase commercial insights to project teams, drive TA-specific internal and external licensing/ acquisition opportunities and ensure integrated enterprise alignment across Novartis Biomedical Research, Development, Strategy & Growth, and the commercial US and International units
Please mention your preferred Therapeutic Area in your application
• Development of a TA Strategy to inform pipeline and portfolio decision-making
• Define and drive mid-and-long term portfolio strategy, goals, strategic objectives and leadership aspiration within TA and DAs in collaboration with other functions within Strategy & Growth (S&G), US and International commercial units, Biomedical Research, and Development.
• Provide early commercial insights to the early phase project teams, with clearly defined deliverables for the commercial transition to US and International teams
• Develop forecasts and other commercial models for assets in early R&D
• Support the Therapeutic Area Leadership team (TAL) as the Enterprise strategic body that owns the TA Strategy and reviews all programs at Toll Gate transitions
• Orchestrate stakeholder alignment around updates to the strategy as needed, e.g., due to internal or external market events
• Identify potential pipeline gaps and make recommendations to address with other S&G functions, US, International, Biomedical Research, and Development
• Collaborate closely with key stakeholders (e.g., US, International, Biomedical Research, Development, and other functions such as Value & Access and US Market Access) to facilitate portfolio decision making in the context of our goal of becoming a top 5 Pharma player in the US while maintaining our international leadership
This is a site based role, location in the US is Cambridge, MA OR East Hanover, NJ.
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $222,400 and $333,600 per year; however, while salary ranges are effective from 1/1/23 through 12/31/23, fluctuations in the job market may necessitate adjustments to pay ranges during this period. Further, final pay determinations will depend on various factors, including, but not limited to geographical location, experience level, knowledge, skills and abilities. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
We are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: Individuals in need of a reasonable accommodation due to a medical condition or disability for any part of the application process, or to perform the essential functions of a position, please let us know the nature of your request, your contact information and the job requisition number in your message:
- Novartis: e-mail [email protected] or call +1 [Register to View]
- Sandoz: e-mail [email protected] or call: +1-[Register to View]
• Bachelor Degree required. Advanced degree (PhD, MD or other advanced University degree) or equivalent experience in life science/healthcare; MBA or consulting or equivalent experience highly desirable
• At minimum 10+ years of pharma industry and/or medical devices Experience in Research & Development and/or commercial functions with experience conducting, commissioning, and analyzing primary research
• In-depth TA knowledge (or track record to acquire required TA expertise effectively and rapidly). Experience of strategy development and asset shaping early in lifecycle (any functional perspective). Highly agile having the capacity to manage several strategic DAs within a TA and multiple programs internal and external. Substantial experience evaluating new product opportunities through M&A, BD&L, and internal research programs
• Recent (post 2015) local US experience preferred; local US experience includes working within the US market with the local US customers, US health care systems / systems of care, US payors / accounts, etc. and driving US market strategy. Recent (post 2015) experience in global role preferred
• A track record of successfully working with Commercial, Medical Affairs, Market Access, as well as Business Development & Licensing. Strong financial modeling and assessments for valuation skills and experience in strategic and competitive data analysis and insights generation, leveraging digital tools.
• Strong strategic vision and excellent communication, consensus building and influencing skills. Strategic collaboration and cross functional leadership; effectively work in matrix balancing cross-functional perspectives and alignment with business priorities against flexible resourcing. Ability to comfortably engage with senior leadership as well as mid-career associates to influence and challenge with excellent interpersonal skills
• Enterprise maximization mindset in balance with TA needs: able to align to broader enterprise strategy for trade-off against shorter-term payoffs to avoid unnecessary investments. Desire to make bold choices to stop/ divest / reduce investment
• Fluency in English required. (spoken and written)
• Ability to travel domestically and internationally, to be determined based on business needs
Why Novartis?236 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2022, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could achieve here at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity, and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusion workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Novartis is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons
Join our Novartis Network:
If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network
Strategy & Growth
Strategy & Growth
East Hanover, NJ
Company / Legal Entity
BD&L & Strategic Planning