Director, Global Issues Management & Business Continuity (R1555146-en-us)
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
This position reports to the Executive Director, Global Business Continuity & Community Impact. This role is responsible for leading and executing internal and external communications and stakeholder engagement strategy and programs to support global issues management and business continuity related to the Global Product Development, Manufacturing and Supply Chain organization (GPS) at Bristol-Myers Squibb. The position requires a communications professional who demonstrates sound business judgment and can work closely with mid- and senior-level leaders in the organization to source information and drive effective communications. To be successful, the individual must possess the ability to think strategically and execute tactically, write exceptionally well and remain agile as priorities and situations shift. Must be able to successfully work in a highly matrixed organization, manage and prioritize multiple tasks and projects, effectively engage and collaborate with global cross-functional teams. To be successful, this role requires both strategic vision and significant day-to-day tactical execution.
The high-level scope of the responsibilities of the Director, Global Issues Management & Business Continuity is as follows:
- Responsible for the consultation and development of communications and stakeholder engagement strategies on all global product shortages, global allocation scenarios, manufacturing delays/issues, product deletions, quality issues, recalls, Health Authority/supplier/alliance partnership correspondence, HA action as a result of facility inspection outcomes (for BMS and more than 140+ global CMOs), raw material shortages and communications related to regulatory and/or government actions impeding the company’s ability to supply patients.
- Provides executive communication advice and support to GPS Global Leadership Team (GLT) and Senior Leadership Team (SLN) members.
- Additional responsibility serving as communications support for two to four ex-US BMS manufacturing facilities.
- Serves as representative leader (GPS) on the BMS Crisis Event Response Team (CERT) to effectively lead related communications.
- Partners on shaping GPS business continuity and resiliency communications strategy, related simulation trainings, relevant media trainings and spokesperson identification.
- Responsible for the development and maintenance of best practices playbook.
- The role will work closely with global commercial brand leads; US and International market communications leads; corporate media and reputation team; government affairs; community impact leads; and GPS functional leads in Quality, Manufacturing, Supply Chain, Facilities, Legal and Regulatory.
The successful candidate will be a self-motivated leader with a track record of setting, driving and delivering against integrated communications strategies. This position will play a critical role with cross-functional teams to consult and develop robust communications and stakeholder engagement strategies and programs and therefore, must possess strong interpersonal skills. The successful candidate will additionally possess excellent written and oral communication skills; demonstrate a proven ability to lead strategic communication initiatives aligned with broader company objectives; and operate within a complex, fast-paced environment. S/he must be able to collaborate with business leaders and teams and have demonstrated ability to successfully influence others. Expertise in strategic planning, issues management and crisis communications are essential.
Specific Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, etc.:
- Ability to build strong, trusting relationships, lead large/complex communications and stakeholder engagement strategy and programs, work across divisions with colleagues of diverse business backgrounds and cultures.
- Proven experience developing communications strategy in coordination with business partners to support enterprise priorities.
- Experience working with media and serving as a corporate spokesperson.
- Experience working with manufacturing, supply chain, media, legal, regulatory, etc.
- Exceptional collaboration skills with the ability to partner effectively within the department and across the business to drive and scale communications strategies across the enterprise.
- Strong ability to lead and oversee projects to ensure effectiveness and efficiency, including ability to seamlessly manage multiple competing priorities.
- Strong management and team leadership skills, including willingness to mentor others.
- Superior written and interpersonal communications skills. Strong presentation and facilitation skills; ability to engage with and persuade a wide variety of audiences.
- Bachelor’s degree required, ideally in Communications or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Accomplished communications professional with a minimum of ten (10) years of experience in crisis communications, manufacturing/product/supply chain communications, public relations agency or related field. Healthcare experience and solid understanding of the pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry is preferred.
- This position may require travel (approximately 25%).
- One direct report: Associate Director, Global Issues Management & Business Continuity
- This position may be responsible for the management of consulting relationships.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.