Senior Manager, Late Development Project Management
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
The Project Manager partners with more Senior Project Manager(s) (Associate Directors and/or Directors) and the Development Program Lead (DPL) to lead the Development Program Team (DPT) to successfully shape and execute the project and drug development strategies, as well as lifecycle plan. The Project Manager is accountable for the cross-functional execution of one or more integrated development plans including management of timelines, cost, quality, and risk mitigation. The Project Manager provides an independent voice to shape the project strategy and drive optimal decisions for the broader portfolio value. This position can be assigned to any therapeutic area and work on projects at any stage of development.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- The Project Manager may support one or more DPTs led by an more senior PM (Associate Director or Director); or lead a DPT of minimal to moderate complexity with oversight from their manager
- Partners with the Development Program Lead (DPL) to foster a high performing team and monitor the health and operating efficiency of the team as a unit
- Leads creation of team norms and operating principles with a focus on cross-functional input and accountability, and robust analysis of vetted options
- Acts as an integrator within the Development Program Team (DPT) and across the enterprise to ensure alignment and connect best practices
- Facilitates effective, science-based business decisions including development of scenarios as needed. Ensures all decisions are assessed as to their impacts and communicated to stakeholders in a transparent and timely manner
- Highlights interdependencies and downstream impacts of strategic decisions
- Proactively identifies risks and ensures mitigation plans are implemented
- Develops and coordinates resource planning across functions to assure adequate resources are applied to the project
- Advises on governance expectations with focus on cross-functional input and rigorous debate
- Coaches project team members and others to drive excellence and accountability, and develop talent pipeline for DPT membership
- Change Agent for continuous improvement and transformational initiatives
- For projects that are being jointly developed, works closely with a key strategic alliance partner
- Bachelor’s degree in Life Sciences, Physical sciences or relevant discipline, advanced degree preferred
- Five (5) or more years of relevant experience in the pharmaceutical industry
- Strong understanding of basic science and familiarity of drug development with understanding of project strategy and disease content
- Exhibits good judgement and coachability to build situational leadership and ability to influence without authority
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate in a cross-functional environment
- Strong communicator able to integrate and succinctly summarize the various parts of a project and effectively tailor messages to audience incl. senior leaders
- Ability to resolve complex problems and manage difficult stakeholder situations
- Ability to lead the development of critical path analyses and support scenario planning
- Excellent Project Management Skills – drives execution while balancing speed, quality, and cost. PMP certification desirable
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.