Risk Management Consultant
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
You will be part of the Enterprise Risk Management and Compliance Group, assisting with the administration of Verizon’s Enterprise Risk Management program, overseeing policies, processes, people and systems, partnering with business leaders to identify and mitigate financial, operational, legal, regulatory and reputational risks. Also, as the subject matter expert, you will take a key role in developing and conducting risk assessments, documenting processes, workflows, recommendations and field work. Your work will help us improve our process and come up with ways to make your control environment even stronger. Come help us keep our Finance team running better every day.
- Conducting risk control self-assessments (RCSA), capturing controls and mitigations to assess risk.
- Documenting processes/workflows to identify gaps and provide process enhancement recommendations.
- Assisting with planning and implementation of recommendations.
- Assisting with the development, documentation and implementation risk management program in a manner that fulfils the mission and strategic goals of the organization while complying with regulatory guidance.
- Assisting with the implementation of the governance, risk and compliance (GRC) tool and Integrated Risk Management technologies.
- Assessing the risk inherent in the business function under review and making decisions concerning the scope of work to be performed based on those risks.
- Using data mining results, statistical analysis and other techniques to assess the effectiveness of system controls and perform testing as needed to identify root-cause issues and formulate improvement recommendations for senior management.
- Assisting with the development of Key Risk Indicators (KRIs).
- Providing the repair of controls that are not functioning as intended; the enhancement of the control environment, to address current and developing threats; and the overall improvement to change control.
- Managing frequent, ad hoc requests from the business for advice/assistance regarding controls and compliance.
- Leading compliance training programs for function, including training of compliance personnel and/or function teams as needed to ensure compliance.
- Preparing and delivering presentations communicating risks mitigated, and the potential impacts of unmitigated.
- Supporting audit groups including Internal and External Audit in planning and completing their audit engagements.
Where you'll be working…
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You’re a good communicator, winning the trust of team members, internal customers, and external suppliers. No stranger to a fast-paced environment and tight deadlines, you can adapt to changing circumstances, juggle competing priorities, and combine a sense of urgency with due care and attention to detail. You get personal satisfaction from analyzing problems and delivering solutions to improve business processes.
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in operational compliance, business controls or Finance.
- Willingness to travel up to approximately 25% of the time.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Math, or Information Systems or four or more years of work experience.
- Knowledge of telecommunications infrastructure and experience in telecommunications.
- Knowledge of construction processes, including subcontractor management.
- A professional certification (e.g., CPA, CIA, CISA, CRISC).
- Knowledge of risk frameworks (e.g., COSO, NIST, ISO, COBIT).
- Good analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving skills with the ability to exercise sound and balanced judgment.
- Experience in proactively identifying risks and proposing solutions.
- Experience in Quality Assurance practices.
- Experience in statistics, reporting, and analytical tools.
- Experience in interpreting and implementing policies and processes to ensure a strong control environment.
- Experience in leveraging auditing principles and methods to evaluate policies, processes and systems to identify business risks and control gaps.
- Experience in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint for analytics and presentation.
- Knowledge of compliance standards and frameworks including Sarbanes Oxley, SOC 1 (SSAE 18), SOC 2/3 (Trust Services Principles), ISO (27001, 27017).
- Strong organizational, facilitation and negotiation skills.
- Experience in report writing/database.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.