Behavioral Health Care Manager (LISW-CP) - Columbia or Greenville, SC
$7,500 Sign On Bonus for External Candidates
“This position will initially be expected to visit patients located in the Columbia and Greenville areas.”
Optum Home & Community Care, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, is creating something new in health care. We are uniting industry-leading solutions to build an integrated care model that holistically addresses an individual’s physical, mental and social needs - helping patients access and navigate care anytime and anywhere.
As a team member of our Landmark product, we help bring home-based medical care to complex, chronic patients. This life-changing work helps give older adults more days at home.
We’re connecting care to create a seamless health journey for patients across care settings. Join our team, it’s your chance to improve the lives of millions while doing your life’s best work.(sm)
The behavioral health care manager (BHCM) is a core member of the care team, including home-based medical care (HbMC) provider and behavioral health consultant, as well as the larger interdisciplinary team (IDT). The BHCM is responsible for supporting and coordinating the behavioral and physical health care of patients on an assigned patient caseload with the HbMC provider and, when appropriate, community behavioral health providers. Behavioral health care management services will be provided in the home or via telemedicine as determined by state regulations and/or market needs.
The BHCM will work standard business hours from Monday-Friday. The position is based from the field and your home office; no on-call, evenings, or weekends.
- Support the behavioral and physical health of patients on an assigned patient caseload
- Closely coordinate care with the HbMC provider and, when appropriate, community behavioral health providers
- Screen and assess patients as well as provide patient education for common behavioral health and substance use disorders
- Administer evidence-based screening tools for depression, anxiety, and substance use disorders and develop person-centered care plans to address those conditions
- Provide brief behavioral health interventions using evidence-based techniques such as behavioral activation, problem-solving treatment, motivational interviewing, or other interventions as appropriate until linkage to a community provider
- Systematically track treatment response and monitor patients (in person or via telemedicine) for changes in clinical symptoms and treatment side effects or complications
- Support psychotropic medication management as prescribed by the longitudinal HbMC provider, focusing on treatment adherence monitoring, side effects, and effectiveness of treatment
- Participate in regularly scheduled consultation sessions with the behavioral health consultant and communicate resulting treatment recommendations to the patient’s longitudinal HbMC provider
- Document all encounters with patients and community partners, as well as collaboration with the IDT in the EMR
- Facilitate treatment plan changes for patients who are not improving as expected in consultation with the longitudinal HbMC provider and the behavioral health consultant
- Provide tangible care management support and facilitate referrals for clinically indicated services outside of HbMC (e.g., ongoing behavioral health treatment, social services such as housing assistance, specialty care, and substance use disorder treatment)
- Develop and complete a relapse prevention self-management plan with patients who have achieved their treatment goals
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Master’s Degree (MSW) in Social Work
- Meet all state certification and licensing requirements in the State of South Carolina as a Licensed Independent Social Worker–Clinical Practice (LISW–CP). License must be current, active, unrestricted, and unencumbered
- 2+ years of social work experience (internship not included)
- Experience with screening for common behavioral health and/or substance use disorders
- Experience with assessment and treatment planning for common behavioral health and/or substance use disorders
- Working knowledge of diagnostic criteria of common behavioral health and/or substance use disorders
- Access to reliable transportation required; if you are driving a vehicle, you must comply with all the terms of the Optum Motor Vehicle Safety policy
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and communicate effectively in an interdisciplinary team setting
- Demonstrated ability to effectively engage and deliver brief behavioral health interventions to patients in-person or via telemedicine
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Geriatric, Palliative and/or hospice care experience
- Experience in delivering home-based care or field care management
- Working knowledge of evidence-based treatments and brief behavioral health interventions for common behavioral health disorders, when appropriate (e.g., motivational interviewing, problem-solving treatment, behavioral activation)
- Basic knowledge of psychopharmacology for common behavioral health disorders that is within appropriate scope of practice
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with Optum. Our objective is to make health care simpler and more effective for everyone. With our hands at work across all aspects of health, you can play a role in creating a healthier world, one insight, one connection and one person at a time. We bring together some of the greatest minds and ideas to take health care to its fullest potential, promoting health equity and accessibility. Work with diverse, engaged and high-performing teams to help solve important challenges
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone-of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income-deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes - an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.