Category Manager Strategic Sourcing ( 580683-1D )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
The Category Manager positions will focus on developing the vision and direction within the Corporate Services, Property & Logistics or Marketing & Sales categories across the Verizon enterprise. The successful candidate will play a lead role in aligning with Verizon business goals and driving end-to-end category strategy, performance effectiveness/efficiency and value/revenue generation.
Reporting to a Category Director, the roles will enhance organizational performance through effective demand management and will be responsible for leading the category to improve productivity, optimize cost and develop/align with business strategies to boost value and drive towards world class performance.
A key aspect of the role is to build collaborative relationships with internal business partners as well as strategic relationships with external suppliers. The candidate will have demonstrated experience in defining and driving industry best practices and develop recommendations for enhanced business performance. They will actively manage multiple, time-sensitive projects and interface with all levels of management to negotiate and drive transformational/complex deals.
- Collaborates closely with senior level business partners to understand their priorities, strategies and challenges and assess/manage expectations and drive alignment on end to end category strategy
- Earns the business partner’s respect and serves as a Trusted Advisor and Business Leader by demonstrating proven category expertise
- Plans and proposes strategies that best support the business, create efficiencies, and provide outstanding performance. Areas of focus include, securing top supplier talent, maximizing ROI, and attaining KPIs through supplier relationship management
- Partners with the business to eliminate “maverick” spend, maximize value and lead process workflow to include guiding/influencing toward best practices, lead negotiations/execution and define benchmarks and program performance
- Stays current and leverages the industry best practices, game-changing strategies and technology trends to drive World Class standards
- Drives continuous optimization of supply base with input on effective staffing plans, compensation structures, performance management measures and process enhancement
- Drives strategy implementation to enhance efficiency, process and performance improvement and build foundations for trusted partnerships
- Oversee management of business and financial issues (budget, annual scopes, staffing and annual contracts/addendums) and effectively develops relationships to meet the needs of the business
- Ensures operational excellence and effective communications with internal and external partners
- Coordinates appropriate Supplier reviews focused on performance, opportunity, and innovation
This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Six or more years of work experience, specifically in the areas of Category Management, Strategic Sourcing, consulting or comparable functional experience.
- Experience with program and change management.
- Advanced category experience and proven experience in leading transformational change.
- Experience creating collaborative relationships and developing category strategies or longer-term strategic plans/initiatives.
- Willingness to travel.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Experience developing process, process improvements and policy implementation and oversight.
- Supplier performance management experience including reviews.
- Advanced proficiency in building leadership PPT presentations (visually telling a story)
- Results/Metrics driven with strong financial base.
- Industry benchmarking experience.
- Self-motivated /self-starter with ability to work independently.
- Leader of Category processes, policies, and procedures in the industry.
- Extensive Professional & Supplier network.
- Passion for research, insight generation and strategic thinking.
- Empathetic, collaborative mindset that can navigate/influence a complex matrix organization to solve problems.
- Strong negotiation skills with a proven track record of delivering value and results.
- Ability to navigate through complex/matrix organization.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to influence senior leader audiences.
- Ability to articulate and simplify complex initiatives in a concise, effective manner to senior leaders.
Verizon will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).