Associate Director, External Manufacturing - Cell Therapy
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
The Supplier Relationship Manager (SRM) is accountable for overall relationship management and operational oversight of one or more contract development manufacturing organizations (CDMOs) used in the manufacture of cell therapy materials and products. A primary focus is leadership of virtual plant teams (VPTs) and other virtual matrix teams that interface closely with the BMS external manufacturing network and internal stakeholders, to ensure flawless execution of the BMS vision. The SRM acts as a manufacturing site lead and is accountable for the performance of the virtual matrix team and CDMO(s) under her / his responsibility.
- Responsible for overall supplier governance for vendors within remit. Develops and maintains strong strategic relationships with the CDMOs to ensure the best outcomes for BMS cell therapy assets, both short and long-term.
- Leads virtual plant and other matrix teams where cross-functional team members are accountable for prioritization and execution of external manufacturing strategies
- Assures delivery of external clinical and commercial supply that meets quality, compliance, schedule and budget expectations through proactive identification and mitigation of supply risks, ensuring on-time closure of deviations, change controls, corrective action plans, etc. Includes management of performance expectations and business critical issue escalation.
- Partners closely with External Manufacturing Quality, Cell Therapy Development, Strategic Sourcing & Procurement, & Global Manufacturing Science & Technology to implement sustainable continuous improvement plans and manufacturing strategies.
- Has overall responsibility for technology transfers to CDMOs under his/her responsibility, including all operations and business processes to ensure support for the technology transfer team.
- Partner with CDMOs and internal stakeholders to draft, manage, and deliver on annual CDMO performance targets, and operating budget. Compiles and maintains the short- and long-term budget for activities related to the CDMO(s) under her / his responsibility.
- Engages with cell therapy development teams to understand requirements of BMS asset/technology pipeline and collaborates with cross functional stakeholders to a high performing CMO network to support the commercialization of the same
- Ensure alignment of objectives and priorities with GO Teams and CMC teams, representing the virtual matrix team and CDMOs in strategic decisions for the program.
Required Qualifications and Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, life sciences or related discipline. Advanced Degree preferred.
- MBA, project management certifications, or demonstrated knowledge of finance, project management, and continuous improvement practices a plus.
- >7 years of experience working in biopharmaceutical manufacturing, supply chain, or pharmaceutical development with at least 3 years of experience in manufacturing operations and/or external manufacturing. Experience with aseptic processing techniques a plus.
- Experience in commercialization of new assets, through launch, and management of post-approval changes a plus
- Ability to lead matrix teams and to work effectively with cross-functional & multi-location teams. Experience working in and with multiple geographies preferred
- Ability to establish strong relationships and achieve success through collaboration
- Ability to travel on an as-needed basis
BMSCART VETERAN #LI-Hybrid
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.