Operational Excellence Technical Lead - Manufacturing (Director Level)
- Partner with and consult functional management, plant managers and their SLTs to provide strategic oversight and vision for the implementation of MPS within the company and to develop Strategic plans and execute performance improvement activities to achieve business goals.
- Develop and/or influence standard systematic improvement approaches to be adopted by the team
- Develop and maintain a “book of knowledge” specific to Drug Substance, Drug Product and Packaging which allows for ever more fast and effective progress with each successive engagement at a customer
- Manage end-to-end LoB process improvements and projects to drive results and realize intended business benefit
- Utilize various tools, techniques, and way of thinking in conjunction with the House of MPS and MPS improvement system to diagnose, investigate and improve business processes
- Provide teaching and coaching to effectively develop talent and transfer Lean skills into the organization for the development of Lean experts.
- Act as the recognized global point of contact and expert for any DS/DP
/Packaging related subject as informed by the latest developments
- Support and train all GMPS team members on the book of knowledge
- High level of Change Management Expertise enabling coaching and development of others to ensure all MMSO activities include appropriate SRF
(change management) methods and risk mitigation approaches.
- Support all areas of the Business with Change Execution Management guidance no matter what the program content.
- Skilled in application of advanced MPS skills needed to drive beyond stability and into more advanced areas of
- Efficiency improvements beyond stability (labor, material, equipment, method – 4M)
- Lead time reduction (inventory)
- Door to door pull systems
- Rhythm wheels and role cards
- Proactive approaches to reduce problems
- Integration with Digital solutions and opportunities
- Demonstrates End to End Business Acumen focused on Outcomes Orientation and be able to engage sponsor and clients, direct major changes, and effectively coach senior management and E2E Managers.
- Demonstrate the capability to drive accountability for execution while navigating and influencing stakeholderrequirements.
- Capable of assessing the organization and intervening effectively.
- Demonstrates the ability to use knowledge andexperienceto foresee global market and economic trends, and work with management to create effective strategies to take advantage of these trends.
- Proactively recognize and mitigate barriers to cross-functional initiatives and can act as an intermediary across divisional, geographical, and cultural boundaries.
- Promote a culture of continuous improvement an improving on the status quo, while driving departmental/regional strategies that align with the Company’s long-term strategy.
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively scope, assign tasks and allocate resources for meeting goals within projected budget.
- Mentor others on effective communication and active listening techniques to fully understand client/customer needs and expectations.
- Carry out deep process analysis through value stream mapping to measure stagnation of inventory and information and can guide kaizen to increase capacity and improve process performance.
- Develop visual controls and framework to make problems visible and responds with urgency to effectively break down complex problems, direct root cause analysis, and develop effective countermeasures.
- Coach kaizen with a team to achieve multiple target conditions to achieve an overall goal.
- Build trust and develop new relationships with internal and external clients to effectively collaborate and achieve successful outcomes at a regional/global.
- Expertise in advanced process improvement methods (observations, SWCT,RC
, RW, etc.)
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field (Master’s Degree preferred)
- Proven record of successful Operational Excellence/Lean implementation including Strategy Development/Deployment
- Specific background in successfully bringing about improvements in Pharma Drug Substance, Drug Product, Packaging beyond basic stability
- Expertise in analyzing complex end-to-end supply chains and driving process improvement
- Hands on application of Lean tools and techniques: Standardized work, scientific problem solving, value stream mapping, mistake proofing, SMED , 5S-Visual management, Heijunka
- Experience applying consultative skills: ability to influence decision making, execute and coach on change management (SRF ), ability to interact with all levels of the business (senior leaders to shop floor working teams), project management skills (demonstrated ability in managing large teams), solid business acumen, proven team building skills, exceptionally good listening skills, results oriented, stronganalytical skills, and prior process improvement roles..
- Coaching, Teaching and driving a high-performance organization. Proven record in coaching and teaching others to think, behave and apply lean methods and tools. Ability to enable and leverage diverse perspectives, talents, etc. to achieve business outcomes.
Employees working in roles that the Company determines require routine collaboration with external stakeholders, such as customer-facing commercial, or research-based roles, will be expected to comply not only with Company policy but also with policies established by such external stakeholders (for example, a requirement to be vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to access a facility or meet with stakeholders). Please understand that, as permitted by applicable law, if you have not been vaccinated against COVID-19 and an essential function of your job is to call on external stakeholders who require vaccination to enter their premises or engage in face-to-face meetings, then your employment may pose an undue burden to business operations, in which case you may not be offered employment, or your employment could be terminated. Please also note that, where permitted by applicable law, the Company reserves the right to require COVID-19 vaccinations for positions, such as in Global Employee Health, where the Company determines in its discretion that the nature of the role presents an increased risk of disease transmission.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. For more information about personal rights under the U.S. Equal Opportunity Employment laws, visit:
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively.
U.S. Hybrid Work Model
Effective September 5, 2023, employees in office-based positions in the U.S. will be working a Hybrid work consisting of three total days on-site per week, generally Tuesday, Wednesday and either Monday or Thursday, although the specific days may vary by site or organization, with Friday designated as a remote-working day, unless business critical tasks require an on-site presence. This Hybrid work model does not apply to, and daily in-person attendance is required for, field-based positions; facility-based, manufacturing-based, or research-based positions where the work to be performed is located at a Company site; positions covered by a collective-bargaining agreement (unless the agreement provides for hybrid work); or any other position for which the Company has determined the job requirements cannot be reasonably met working remotely. Please note, this Hybrid work model guidance also does not apply to roles that have been designated as “remote”.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme LLC, Rahway, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License: