Staff Manufacturing Engineer, Advanced Operations (R458764)
Stryker is one of the world’s leading medical technology companies and, together with our customers, is driven to make healthcare better. We offer innovative products and services in Orthopaedics, Medical and Surgical, and Neurotechnology and Spine that help improve patient and hospital outcomes.
We are proud to be named the #5 World’s Best Workplaces and a Best Workplace for Diversity by Fortune Magazine. Learn more about our award-winning organization by visiting stryker.comWhy engineering at Stryker?
At Stryker we are dedicated to improving lives, with a passion for researching and developing new medical device products. As an engineer at Stryker, you will be proud of the work that you will be doing, using cutting-edge technologies to make healthcare better. Here, you will work in a supportive culture with other incredibly talented and intelligent people, creating industry-leading medical technology products. You will also have growth opportunities as we have a culture that supports your personal and professional development.
Need another reason to apply? Check out these 8 reasons to join Stryker's engineering team: https://www.strykercareersblog.com/post/8-reasons-to-join-strykers-engineering-team
Stryker is one of the world’s leading medical technology companies and is dedicated to helping healthcare professionals perform their jobs more efficiently while enhancing patient care. Stryker offers a diverse array of innovative medical technologies, including reconstructive, medical and surgical, and neurotechnology and spine products to help people lead more active and more satisfying lives.
Stryker is seeking to hire a Staff Engineer, Advanced Operations to support Stryker’s Medical (Emergency Care) new product development division in Portage, MI.
The Staff Engineer, Advanced Operations will be responsible for designing, validating and bringing new processes and products to market. This position with specify precise new product functional requirements; design, test and integrate components to produce final designs; and evaluate the design's overall effectiveness, cost, reliability and safety.
WHO WE WANT:
- Analytical problem solvers. People who go beyond just fixing to identify root causes, evaluate optimal solutions, and recommend comprehensive upgrades to prevent future issues.
- Curious learners. People who seek out cutting-edge research and information to expand and enhance their ability to be ready for what’s next.
- Collaborative partners. People who build and leverage cross-functional relationships to bring together ideas, data and insights to drive continuous improvement in functions.
- Self-directed initiators. People who take ownership of their work and need no prompting to drive productivity, change, and outcomes.
WHAT WILL YOU DO:
In this role you will design, develop, execute and evaluates fitness-for-use testing, product specifications and process validation plans.
You will collaborate with internal manufacturing partners, contract manufacturers, designers and product specialists to optimize designs for manufacturability. In this role you will utilize CAD (Computer Aided Design) or CAE (Computer Aided Engineering) systems to evaluate components for manufacturability and develop equipment and fixturing concepting.
As the Staff Engineer, Advanced Operations you will be responsible for creating a work practice and environment that pushes the boundaries of conventional manufacturing. Role success will be gauged by this individual’s contribution in coaching the engineering team to effectively meet and/or exceed new product metrics including product cost, process performance and time to market.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Determines the technical objectives of engineering assignments and makes decisions regarding the direction and the results of the assignment.
- Will monitor and control progress of work ensuring sound application of engineering principles and the appropriate use of policies and procedures.
- Lead capital acquisition activity from specifying equipment, contract negotiation, Installation and validation.
- Will analyze equipment to establish operating data, conduct experimental test and result analysis. May lead or act as independent reviewer in process review meetings.
- Will coach and mentor others on functionally related topics.
- Provide engineering support for new product and process introductions, ensuring that all activities are completed and documented in accordance with the Stryker new product development procedures.
- Ensure quality of process and product as defined in the appropriate operation and material specifications.
- Will select components and equipment based on analysis of specifications, reliability and regulatory requirements. Work with quality engineers to develop component specific testing and inspection protocols.
- Participate in PFMEA, Control Plan, SOP and PPAP generation associated with product transfers and launches.
- Ensure adherence to GMP and safety procedures.
- Review and approval of validation documentation.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering required. (Mechanical, Industrial, Manufacturing, Controls Engineering highly preferred).
- 5 years related work experience required.
- Equipment and process validation required.
ADDITIONALLY, YOU SHOULD HAVE EXPERIENCE:
- Executing complex problem-solving techniques related to manufacturing/design technical issues. Good instincts and sound judgement for mechanical and structural design.
- Good understanding of Design for Manufacturing (DFM), related statistical tools and validation/verification techniques.
- Good knowledge of manufacturing processes, materials, product and process design.
- Must be able to read and interpret complex engineering drawings and have the ability to understand geometrical dimensioning and tolerancing.
- Good understanding of validation activities.
- Experience in an FDA regulated or regulated industry beneficial.
- Knowledge of GMAW process including setting parameters, robotic and hand welding, weld fixture concept/design/build, Fanuc robotics programming, Allen Bradley PLC programming, and Fronius welder background a plus.
- Knowledge of Metal removal and forming processes including: Machining, Turret punch press, sheet laser, tube laser, brake press, metal stamping, progressive stamping dies.
- Knowledge of powder coat process and parameters a plus.
Our total rewards offering varies by country but often includes bonuses; commissions; healthcare; insurance benefits; retirement programs; stock based plans; paid time off plans; family and parenting leaves; tuition reimbursement; wellness programs; onsite fitness centers and cafeterias; discount purchase programs; and service and performance awards – not to mention various social and recreational activities.Know someone at Stryker?
Be sure to have them submit you as a referral prior to applying for this position. Learn more about our employee referral program at https://careers.stryker.com/referrals/