Senior Manager, R&ED Data Operations
Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us
Senior Manager, Data Operations, IT for Research and Early Development
This is an Information Technology role that will be responsible for ingesting, cataloging and governing data in support of R&ED in collaboration with Business Partners supporting Informatics and Predictive Sciences, Translational Medicine, and Thematic Research Centers. The candidate can understand business requirements as set forth by the Business Partner and the technical specifications set forth by the Digital Capability Manager and is able to implement solutions that harness an array of advanced information technologies, analytics, and machine learning services. Candidate exhibits a strong understanding of the scientific and business value of collected data, and partners with multiple IT teams to ensure adherence to information, data, security, and solution architecture principles, guidelines, standards, and best practices.
- Leads the technical delivery of R&ED data into systems of insight (i.e., data lakes) including design, development, testing, integration, and deployment, within a project context
- Leads or contributes to the development of solution architectures for new data capture capabilities. Ensures that they satisfy business needs and are appropriately aligned with BMS Enterprise Architecture and industry standards, and are engineered to be reliable, cost effective, scalable, and sustainable throughout the expected lifecycle
- Manages the service delivery of internal and external data providers. Documents and reports provider’s adherence to approved data quality and specifications.
- Drives innovation by applying the scientific value of data to business requests for information. Understands the data collected and its primary use.
- Ensures all new data is managed according to FAIR principles, with a primary focus on findability and accessibility. Drives accountability by managing data ownership and adherence to data lifecycle policies.
- Supports management of technology assets related to data acquisition and storage.
- Influences DCM roadmaps to align with BMS strategy.
- Experience supporting digital and data management capabilities in both cloud-based and on-premises environments for R&D scientists
- Able to manage virtual teams of individual contributors either internal or third party; develops plans and priorities and allocates resources; able to work within a highly matrixed environment; coordinates the delivery work of technical teams
- Directs resolution of complex technical, operational, and people-related challenges that may involve collaboration to innovate new solutions
- Effectively communicates with clients, stakeholders, management
- Knowledge and experience with R&ED data types (e.g., biosamples) and workflows and/or domain knowledge in the life sciences is a plus
- Minimum of a BS or BA degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience. Alternatively, an advanced degree in the physical or life sciences with deep computer science expertise
- 4+ years of progressive SDLC experience, with experience in business analysis, technical design & development, solution architecture and implementation on large scale project teams
- Understanding of and experience in data modeling, data pipeline development, software design and development, configuration management, and experience in the AWS component stack (Lambda, S3, DynamoDB etc.) a plus
- Hands on data analysis with R&ED data like biologic samples, DNA Sequencing, Flowcytometry, Cytokine, IHC, etc. is a plus
- Hands on experience with common pharmaceutical R&ED applications like PKI Signals, Paradigm 4, LIMS, Clinical Management Systems, Sample Management Systems etc. is a plus;
- Agile methodology experience a plus
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.