Senior Manager Cloud Operations
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Manager Cloud Operations
BMS is seeking an experienced and results orianted Manager of Cloud Operations. This role will be a hands-on technical practicioner position reporting to the Director of Cloud Operations and based in our Princeton NJ location.
Manager Cloud Operations will oversee a team of employees and Managed Service Provider (MSP) resources responsible for operation of the BMS cloud environment. You will work with development teams, service providers, business partners, cyber security and other technical teams to deliver cloud solutions and manage operations in support of BMS business applications in the AWS, Azure, and GCP cloud environments.
Your responsibilities will include technical design, implementation, cost optimization (FinOps) and support services. Areas of focus will include cloud infrastructure implementation and optimization, operational responsibility for mission and business critical applications and ensuring the highest levels of availability, performance and security to our internal customers.
- Hands-on knowledge of cloud operations in multi-cloud environment with advanced skills in one or more cloud platforms (AWS preffered, Azure or GCP).
- Serve as a senior-level technical contact for enterprise customers and assure they realize full benefit of cloud services.
- Oversee a team of employees and Managed Servicen Provider (MSP) resources and serve as an escalation point for any service impacting issues.
- Ensure frictionless access to our cloud services while maintaining security and data protection.
- Explore and deploy highly available, and fault tolerant infrastructure solutions in the cloud.
- Audit and report on cloud services consumption, and adherence to company policies and procedures.
- Work with Cyber Security team to maintain security and data protection in the cloud and coordinate remediation of issues using Cloud Security Posture Management (CSPM) tools.
- Recommend appropriate cloud services based on compute, data, or security requirements.
- Identify appropriate use of cloud operational best practices and ensure they are followed.
- Support and use the DevOps delivery model and Agile project delivery methodology
- Understand cloud usage costs and FinOps practices and deliver cloud cost optimization solutions.
- Collaborate with other technical groups (Cloud Engineering, Cyber, Network, etc.) on technology issues and solutions.
- Evaluate effectiveness of the cloud solutions and make recommendations for improvement.
- Coordinate and engineer cloud availability zones and regional architecture for data protection.
- Understand high level cloud application architecture and provide analysis on high-availability and disaster recovery options to clients.
- Manage incidents, requests and implement changes leveraging ITIL tools and processes.
- Take appropriate actions to resolve issues and communicate the solution or action plan to the clients.
The ideal candidate will need to demonstrate:
- Proven technical skills of Cloud infrastructure, software architecture and cloud computing.
- Demonstrated ability to think tactically and strategically about solutions to business, product, and technical challenges.
- Will have technical knowledge of AWS EC2, VPC, Elastic Load Balancing, Auto Scaling, Lambda, Container management, S3, Intelligent Tiering, EBS, RDS and AWS Systems Manager automation and/or Azure, and GCP equivalents.
- Familiarity with Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) concepts and practices.
- Develop scripts for automation and monitoring (i.e., Python, Node.js, Java Script, PowerShell, etc.)
- Will have experience with cloud performance monitoring tools such as Amazon Cloud Watch and Azure Monitor.
- Be able to use professional knowledge and problem determination / source identification skills to resolve problems involving cloud APIs, application services, IaaS, PaaS, micro-services, containers, middleware components, network, security and infrastructure issues alike. If unable to resolve, will triage and route the incident to the appropriate level of support.
- The candidate will be experienced with the ITIL processes of Incident (including Critical Incident Management), Problem, Change Management and Integrated Service Level Management.
- Be a motivated self-starter, able to get productive quickly and work with minimal supervision.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- 5+ years of operations experience (management of critical infrastructure systems) in a data center or public/private cloud environment
- Minimum of 2 years professional hands-on experience with the AWS, Azure or GCP platform
- Experience managing/operating production systems on cloud service provider infrastructure
- Experience with monitoring, backups, patching and security remediation in a cloud environment
- Hands on experience with managing resources at the console as well as CLI and understanding cloud API calls.
- Familiarity with native or third-party cloud optimization tools such as AWS Compute Optimizer, AWS Trusted Advisor, Azure Advisor, Cloudability, Turbonomic, etc.
- AWS data protection and lifecycle experience using technologies like EBS snapshots, S3/Glacier, data replication between availability zones and regions, etc.
- Good grasp of fundamental security concepts with hands on experience implementing security controls and compliance requirements.
- Working knowledge of Linux & Windows OS and familiarity with DB concepts and operation.
- Willingness to serve in a 24x7 on-call cycle to manage escalations or resolve issues.
- Working knowledge of Pharmaceutical regulatory requirements, qualification and validation of applications.
- Knowledge of ITIL tools and processes including Incident, Change, Request, Problem and Asset management required, ideally using ServiceNow.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (content creation such as whitepapers, proof of concepts, PowerPoint presentations, etc.).
- Ability to explain complex technology decisions to both technical and non-technical audiences at all levels in the organization
Preferred Certification Requirements
- AWS Solution Architect or SysOps Administrator Certificate; Associates
- Any AWS Professional certification a big plus
- Any Azure certification a plus
- BS or equivalent in information technology, computer engineering, computer science, or related field
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.