Director CAR-T Warehouse Operations
Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us
The Director, CAR-T Warehouse Operations at the Cell Therapy Operations Summit West (CTO SMW) campus in New Jersey leads an operation that includes the receipt, storage and movement of all raw materials at the site. This includes materials used for packaging, manufacturing, testing, as well as ancillary materials such as personal protective equipment and materials used within the broader BMS cell therapy network. In addition, Warehouse Operations is responsible for de-boxing, cleaning, preparation and kitting of materials used in classified clean room/spaces spanning from Grade A through CNC. The physical scope of warehouse operations includes the span of 3 facilities at the Summit, NJ campus, and includes materials with parameters in cold chain, frozen, and controlled room temperature.
This position is intended for someone with a strong understanding of warehousing and end-to-end supply chain operations, specifically within the context of a GMP operation, and supports the cell therapy manufacturing process by ensuring that the storage, handling, movement and kitting operations are done efficiently and with appropriate GMP quality controls.
This role combines a unique blend of responsibilities, both strategic and delivery focused, and is a perfect fit for an ambitious KPI-driven leader.
- Lead staff of 5-6 senior managers (direct reports), 10-12 warehouse managers/supervisors, and 50+ associates that span multiple levels of material handlers.
- Build, maintain and lead a high achieving organization to support a commercial CAR T warehousing and supply chain operation
- Develop strategic staffing models and personnel requirements to ensure department is appropriately staffed to meet all short and long-term capacity requirements
- Direct the management of daily operational activities associated with kitting, and movement of materials throughout the CAR T supply chain network
- Collaborate with CAR T Materials Management Organization to build short and long-term capacity models for all warehouse space requirements including controlled room temperature, refrigerated and freezer storage
- Lead communication throughout organization to ensure the right focus on daily activities while managing larger picture on expansion and sustainability
- Develop dashboard to monitor performance against metrics and KPIs
- Create an environment of teamwork, open communication, and a sense of urgency
- Promote a mindset of continuous improvement, problem-solving and prevention
- Create and implement standardize warehouse processes
- Efficiently coordinates, communicates, and provides essential Warehouse Operations project information and activities status to Development, Clinical, Planning, Manufacturing, Quality Assurance, Global Supply and other associated functions in a timely manner without becoming the critical path
- Fosters a culture of high ethics and compliance
- Build a collaborative environment that fosters decisive decision making and accountability (internal / external)
- Provide strategic oversight to entire organization through business results with timely and quality decision making
- Identify strategic, operational and continuous improvement programs both internally and externally, develop proposals, outline solutions, and provide time commitments and resources
- Act as a change leader in a fast-paced environment to promote flexibility, creativity, and accountability
- Develop business continuity plans to ensure sustainable operations
- Manage the creation, implementation and compliance for all documentation, procedures and policies including appropriate training curricula and processes to support corrective and preventative actions, deviation responses and investigations for warehouse operations
- Provide a safe and healthy work environment for staff within areas and ensure compliance with all appropriate policies and regulations
- Oversee warehouse expansion in collaboration with site ramp readiness
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in supply chain, engineering, life sciences, business management or related fields; advanced degree preferred.
- 10+ years relevant work experience within a regulated pharmaceutical manufacturing environment, including 8+ years direct experience in warehousing, manufacturing and supply chain areas and 7+ years of direct supervision experience (an equivalent combination of education, experience and training may substitute)
- Understanding of cell culture, cryopreservation, purification, and aseptic processing or lab technique preferred
- Advanced knowledge of relevant regulations and guidance; available to act as a resource for colleagues
- Independent decision-making capability and ability to think conceptually and understand impact of decisions
- Proven leadership ability to carry out difficult decisions in a logical, rational manner, and demonstrated ability to work as a senior management team member and to engage and influence team members in a matrixed environment
- Demonstrated high level of verbal and written communication skills
- Proven leadership and mentoring skills for staff
- Advanced knowledge of cGMP/GDP/Pharmaceutical regulations
- Advanced knowledge warehouse operations including best industry practices, application of principles, concepts, practices, standards, validation and qualification
- Advanced Proficiency in ERP systems / WMS Applications / Reporting and analytics tools (MES experience preferred)
- Advanced proficiency in MS Office applications
- Advanced analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills
- Advance project management experience handling multiple projects simultaneously
- Advanced presentation development and delivery skills
- Advanced organizational / time management skills, with ability to follow assignments for completion
- Ability to travel 10% - 20% of time
- Intermittent walking and sitting to perform job functions; however, ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time may be necessary.
- Sufficient vision and hearing capability to work in job environment.
- Cleanroom garments and personal protective equipment will be required in designated areas which cover head, parts of the face, core body, and legs/feet.
- Makeup, gum, nail polish, or other potential microbial sources are prohibited in restricted areas.
- Flexibility to don clean room garments and personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Clean room environment is an enclosed, restricted space, with assigned pressure and temperature conditions. Reagents, chemicals, and exposure to sanitization agents are expected.
- Routine exposure to human blood components.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.