Director, Strategy & Operations, Medical Evidence Generation
Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us
The Director, Strategy & Operations (S&O) will be the strategic partner for the Medical Evidence Generation (MEG) Leadership Team (LT). The MEG organization provides oversight on all aspects of medical-led data generation aligned with the Integrated Evidence Plan (IEP) to enable HCPs and broader medical community across the markets to inform treatment decisions and improve access, with high quality and in a timely and cost-effective manner. Additionally, they initiate, form, and maintain strategic partnerships with key academic research centers, innovative collaborations, and professional societies and associations in order to accelerate research and clinical business priorities and support global health equity.
The Director S&O will provide leadership for strategy development and execution in collaboration with the corresponding business leaders and their leadership teams. As such, it is critical that he/she is able to effectively and efficiently partner with/advise both the operating partners and other leaders in the organization to evaluate, assess, design, enhance, and develop long- and short-term strategies (1-5 years). Extensive experience translating strategy to actionable projects and initiatives is also required of the successful candidate.
He/she must be able to drive the successful delivery of project and/or organizational objectives across business units by ensuring effective stakeholder management, alignment and business engagement, and provide guidance to staff and business leaders to improve project execution and remove barriers to successful execution.
Critical skills will include being able structure vaguely defined problems while utilizing pragmatic scope program solving approach in executive management. Strong experience will also be required in managing strategic initiatives to inform/shape long-term model transformation. The successful candidate will also provide input on organizational design strategy; coordinate planning & provide guidance to stakeholders regarding budget trends, P&L guidance, implications and identify concerns and solutions. As such it is critical that he/she has a demonstrated track record of developing and engaging a matrix team in order to allocate resources with the right skills to projects/initiatives.
- Accountable for the strategic planning & execution, finance and resource management, metrics & performance measurement, communication & collaboration, governance, quality & continuous improvement, vendor & contract management, and operational support for the MEG organization
- Responsible for driving market engagement strategies and optimizing operations to impact business performance
- Oversee the planning of execution of MEG events including cross-institutional summits, townhalls, office hours, and organizational development activities
- Partner with BI&A and IT to increase the productivity and efficiency of the enterprise through digital innovation and monitor and analyze MEG business outcomes
- Maintain onboarding curriculum for incoming staff and partner with MEG LT to maintain team specific curriculum
- The individual in this role must be able to monitor and assess external trends to inform and educate stakeholders and stay abreast of macro trends in the healthcare environment, therapeutic area market and brand enterprise drivers
- A critical aspect of this role is the ability to work seamlessly across the BMS enterprise (entire drug development spectrum including preclinical to HEOR/RWD) and coordinate the input of other stakeholders
- The incumbent will leverage capabilities and expertise within the broader organization to drive business objectives, resolve business issues, and optimize opportunities
- BA/BS degree required; advanced degree preferred
- 7-8 years pharmaceutical experience preferred, ideally with global experience
- Demonstrated experience in successfully managing and executing cross-functional initiatives
- Demonstrated ability to influence stakeholders across various levels of the organization, cultures, and geographies
- Experience in project management with the ability to work independently, develop clear action plans, execute, and drive effective decision making
- Experience in managing relationships with suppliers and service providers to deliver customer-focused services
- Ability to build relationships and influence, and drive organizational engagement
- Experience in Worldwide roles and across a range of business areas a plus
- Highly effective written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience in budget management
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally approximately 5-10% of time
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as “Transforming patients’ lives through science™ ”, every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can perform complex functions through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.