Broadcast Operations Coordinator - Freelance
Tennis Channel’s freelance Broadcast Operations Coordinator plays a vital role in the smooth running of our Broadcast Operations Center. They will communicate with all the Broadcast Operations Center, on-site and In-house production, Digital, and all our vendors during live broadcasts to ensure signal continuity. The freelance Broadcast Operations Coordinator works closely with Remote Operations teams for the proper transmission and receipt of feeds for live productions including All French Open matches, Wimbledon, Australian Open, US Open, WTA and ATP Finals, WTA + ATP 1000 series, PPA Pickleball and any other TC remote projects. The freelance Broadcast Operations Coordinator is the first point of troubleshooting and escalation if an issue arises and must communicate any issues to Operations and Production management teams in a timely manner. Additional duties will include ingest/segmentation of files for server playback. The freelance Broadcast Operations Coordinator is also responsible for overseeing and monitoring Tennis Channel’s on-air signal including closed captioning, liaising with our signal provider to endure confidence return.
This role works a varied schedule that may include evenings, overnights, weekends, and holidays.
Tennis Channel, owned and operated by Sinclair Broadcast Group, offers a one-of-a-kind opportunity in the broadcast industry. With the hands-on experience in the Broadcast Operations Center, you will be introduced to the ever expanding and evolving world of the broadcast industry. We look forward to taking the next step in your career with you.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Monitor the on-air signal and ensure quality delivery of our content to the viewers.
- Book and complete goodnight procedures for The Switch, LTN, LiveU, Sinclair Video Network, IP Mux, Level 3 Fiber, and Satellite orders.
- Perform a thorough Sync and Fax check with onsite personnel prior to live shows and events.
- Accurately route and record content to the Avid server for archive and Sinclair Storyline for the Tennis Channel app.
- Organize 32 inbound and 8 outbound feeds for recording, playout and broadcast live on Tennis Channel Plus and Tennis Channel International apps.
- Clip individual matches for Video on demand and manage the Electronic Program Guide (EPG) for Tennis Channel and Tennis Channel International apps.
- Ingest content for air as needed.
- Troubleshoot technical issues, including escalation to Engineering as needed.
- Help with the training new hires, in various stages of learning, as instructed by the BOC manager or supervisor.
- Use a strong understanding of common broadcast signal problems in order to identify and rectify them (audio level, distortion, format, sync issues, video issues etc.).
- Minimum 3 years Broadcast Operations experience including but not limited to HD/SD, ASI, J2K, Data IP Transmission, Zoom/Skype, IP video workflows, Cellular bonded transmitter / receiver LIVEU, and the ability to troubleshoot such signal paths
- Must have strong understanding of SDI and digital signal flows
- Familiar with the following equipment: Wohler, Imagine Router panels, AVID FastServe, NEXIO, Haivision, Selenio Frame Sync, LiveU, RTS comms, various encoding / decoding
- Must be comfortable with the pressure associated with performing operations on a live network and be capable of remining focused when working under pressure
- Knowledge of tennis scoring, and rules is a bonus, but not required
Tennis Channel is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug Free Workplace!
About Tennis Channel
Tennis Channel is a twenty-four-hour television network, online streaming service and national print magazine circulation dedicated to the sport and its unique lifestyle. The tennis-media hub is home to every aspect of the wide-ranging, worldwide tennis community. Tennis Channel is carried nationwide by every one of the top ten pay-TV service providers.
Make your mark in Media with Sinclair Broadcast Group, a diversified media company dedicated to connecting people with content everywhere! We have consistently led the broadcast industry since our inception, and now Sinclair owns the largest regional sports network business and one of the largest television broadcast portfolios in the country. Also, we have affiliations with all of the major broadcast networks, our own Tennis Channel, and several multicast networks including TBD and Comet. Our content is distributed over-the-air, on multi-video providers, and through our industry-leading digital media platforms. We also recently launched a free TV streaming service called STIRR. Our success is the direct result of our extraordinary employees and management team who believe in our vision and are dedicated to ensuring a great future for our employees. We are advancing the world of Media and want YOU to join our winning team!
About the Team
The life-blood of our organization is our people. We have a compelling story, a goal-oriented culture, and we take really good care of people. How good? Here is a glimpse: great benefits, open-door policy, upward mobility and a strong desire to see you succeed. Ready to be part of a winning team? Let’s talk.
The base hourly compensation range for this role is $28.00 to $30.00 per hour. Final compensation for this role will be determined by various factors such as a candidates’ relevant work experience, skills, certifications, and geographic location.