Principal Network Operations Engineer
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world's leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We're a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward - and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you'll be doing...
As a Senior Engineer, you will be responsible for implementation, maintenance and ongoing support for Verizon's Network. You will act as a technical liaison to the Engineering, Planning and vendor organizations to ensure supportability and reliability of our services. You will develop resolutions to complex problems that require the frequent use of creativity. You will be a Subject Matter Expert for the Network with responsibility to provide escalations and technical support as needed.
You will provide Tier 2 technical support for the Global Transport Network on both in-franchise and out-of-franchise networks to resolve equipment malfunctions, create procedures, and assist with network problem isolation. You will also assist peer Transport Technical Support engineers with operation, maintenance, and upgrade activities.
- Conducting advanced research to provide root cause analysis and make recommendations to prevent future occurrences.
- Assuming a team lead role for the workgroup, sharing knowledge, and mentoring those with less experience.
- Creating, maintaining, and contributing to departmental technical documentation. Follow departmental guidelines as defined in the SOP (Standard Operating Procedures) and subsequent emails.
- Collaborating cross-functionally with other departments throughout the company to analyze issues impacting service and recommend, develop, and implement process improvements.
- Finishing projects independently and meeting tight timelines with minimal supervision.
- Coordinating corrective actions with vendors as needed, minimizing calls to the vendor as practical.
- Coordinating equipment upgrades with the vendor, sites, and engineering.
- Providing complex technical support to SD&A, NMC's, and peer groups.
- Performing NE upgrades (software and hardware).
- Assisting NMC technicians with operation and maintenance activities.
- Researching and resolving technical escalations.
- Reviewing outdated tickets to provide direction for prompt resolution.
- Providing input for vendor Operations Review meetings.
What we're looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Willingness to work rotating schedule (shifts) including nights, weekends, and holidays based on the needs of the business.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Strong decision-making skills and the ability to clearly and concisely present technical information to non-technical audiences.
- Experience in troubleshooting end to end network connectivity issues.
- Experience in systems including Ciena 6500, 5430/5410, 5160, Core Director, Coriant 7300, All Infinera, Cisco 4202/4206.
- Ability to lead technical discussions with a group of individuals in the industry with varying technical positions.
- Experience in software packages in support of duties (i.e., NMT, ProComm, Word, Excel, Gmail, Slack).
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience with Telecommunications transport equipment (SONET, SDH, DWDM).
- Experience in deployed Transport platforms.
- Experience in the operation and use of back-office support systems.
- Knowledge of technological certifications are a plus.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don't meet every "even better" qualification listed above.
Where you'll be working
In this remote role, you'll work from home with occasional in-person trainings and meetings.
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.