Associate Director, Operations
Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Associate Director is accountable for the oversight of Manufacturing Operations, while actively supporting, participating in, and embracing a team culture of empowerment.
- Ensures staff activities are aligned with department objectives to reliably supply quality product at a competitive cost
- Forecasts resource needs and manages allocated budget, while adapting departmental plans and priorities to address resource and operational challenges
- Responsible for area supply performance metrics (schedule adherence/delivered supply, cycle time reduction, production uptime) and any action plans to address gaps to the leadership team
- Anticipates and interprets production needs to identify solutions
- Accountable for meeting the operating budget and continuously reducing cost
- Ensure members of the area have business acumen and understand how they may impact business finances
- Provide leadership, cross-functional development, and technical expertise to operations, maintenance, and administrative personnel in the management of products as second level manager with first level (i.e., shop floor) managers and others as direct reports
- Identify, prioritize, and champion projects to improve process efficiency, cycle time, and yield, reduce process variability, and eliminate waste in support of long-range operating plans
- Responsible for creating and sustaining a highly engaged workforce through utilization of our company's Leadership Behaviors and Inclusion
- Provide coaching on professional development and career paths
- Provide timely feedback and performance evaluations for direct reports after obtaining the relevant input and evaluation
- Provide feedback and input on performance evaluations for indirect staff
- Support the Talent Management process
- Provides tactical and strategic area management, closely collaborating with indirect staff including quality, technology, and planning
- Promotes behaviors and principles that drive continuous improvement and compliance consistent with our company standards, regulatory agency, and state and local code requirements for quality, current good manufacturing practices (cGMP), equal employment opportunity, finances, labor, employee, environment, and safety
Minimum Education Requirements and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, Science, Engineering, or another technical field with eight (8) years’ experience in more than one functional area, such as Operations, Quality, Technical Operations, Technology, Engineering, Maintenance, and/or Supply Chain
- Master’s degree in business administration, Science, Engineering, or another technical field with six (6) years’ experience in more than one functional area, such as Operations, Quality, Technical Operations, Technology, Engineering, Maintenance, and/or Supply Chain
Required Experience and Skills
- Concurrently, minimum two (2) years of line experience, with responsibility for direct reports
Preferred Experience and Skills
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience in relevant manufacturing or processing (aseptic/sterile, bulk, solid oral dosage, packaging, etc.)
- Demonstrated knowledge of High Performing Organization tools and methodology, including lean processing
- Demonstrated ability to create an engaged workforce and demonstrates inclusive behaviors.
- Demonstrated experience of interacting with site, divisional or regulatory audits
- Demonstrated success with Talent Management
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Employees working in roles that the Company determines require routine collaboration with external stakeholders, such as customer-facing commercial, or research-based roles, will be expected to comply not only with Company policy but also with policies established by such external stakeholders (for example, a requirement to be vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to access a facility or meet with stakeholders). Please understand that, as permitted by applicable law, if you have not been vaccinated against COVID-19 and an essential function of your job is to call on external stakeholders who require vaccination to enter their premises or engage in face-to-face meetings, then your employment may pose an undue burden to business operations, in which case you may not be offered employment, or your employment could be terminated. Please also note that, where permitted by applicable law, the Company reserves the right to require COVID-19 vaccinations for positions, such as in Global Employee Health, where the Company determines in its discretion that the nature of the role presents an increased risk of disease transmission.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. For more information about personal rights under the U.S. Equal Opportunity Employment laws, visit:
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively.
U.S. Hybrid Work Model
Effective September 5, 2023, employees in office-based positions in the U.S. will be working a Hybrid work consisting of three total days on-site per week, generally Tuesday, Wednesday and either Monday or Thursday, although the specific days may vary by site or organization, with Friday designated as a remote-working day, unless business critical tasks require an on-site presence. This Hybrid work model does not apply to, and daily in-person attendance is required for, field-based positions; facility-based, manufacturing-based, or research-based positions where the work to be performed is located at a Company site; positions covered by a collective-bargaining agreement (unless the agreement provides for hybrid work); or any other position for which the Company has determined the job requirements cannot be reasonably met working remotely. Please note, this Hybrid work model guidance also does not apply to roles that have been designated as “remote”.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme LLC, Rahway, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Travel Requirements:No Travel Required
Flexible Work Arrangements:On-Site
Shift:1st - Day
Valid Driving License:No