Director of Network Programming, Podcasts
Sinclair, Inc. is looking for an experienced Director to lead the overall strategy, operations, and growth for podcasts spanning a vast network of newsrooms across the country. The role requires someone with deep familiarity of the podcasting space, an extreme passion for engaging content, and can lead teams in all areas of development, production, distribution, marketing, and monetization.
The ideal candidate will have 8+ years experience at media companies, demonstrating the ability to launch a network of successful programming that drives audience and revenue at scale across multiple platforms. You have a proven track record of building high-performing teams, managing a matrixed organization, and overseeing content development that ladders up to overall business strategies. Strong leadership skills, with a creative mindset and a keen eye for quality programming is a must.
What You’ll Do:
- Own the execution of the overall strategy for local content center podcasts within Sinclair.
- Collaborate with VP, Audio Programming and other internal stakeholders to help drive Sinclair’s overall digital content business.
- Evaluate key content areas that will drive audience and revenue; build a roadmap to launch programming across network to support department goals.
- Build and lead a team of producers and editors; collaborate with broader Sinclair digital production teams to create high-quality, engaging content to be distributed on multiple platforms.
- Explore and identify new ways to expand digital programming outside of current or traditional avenues, proactively pushing boundaries and challenging legacy thinking.
- Build content distribution plans, maximizing audience reach across all platforms including: audio, video, social, web, broadcast, and more.
- Drive revenue growth across network while exploring new opportunities, including but not limited to: branded content, subscriptions, licensing, IP development, etc.
- Lead the development of growth plans for all programming, work collaboratively with content centers to achieve benchmark goals.
- Ensure all content adheres to high journalistic standards.
- Develop and execute an educational plan on all aspects of podcast production, growth, and monetization. Assist teams with limited resources to maximize output.
- Collaborate closely with local content centers on their individual podcasting strategy, acting as a key liaison to the corporate digital team.
- Vet internal and external pitches; determine if ideas fit into overall department goals and execute potential go-to-market strategy.
- Oversee the launch process for all content center programming, aligning internal teams to ensure an effective launch and sustained success.
- Track and analyze audience data across all platforms to make informed editorial decisions.
- Solve day-to-day production challenges, removing potential roadblocks to allow teams to maximize efficiency.
- Other duties as assigned.
Who You Are:
- 8+ years experience in podcasting or a similar digital media, preferably in a network environment.
- Proven track record of launching programming across multiple channels, including audio, video, and social, while driving audience growth and revenue.
- Excellent leadership skills, successfully building and managing teams while fostering a collaborative environment toward a common goal.
- A vision for stories and ideas originating locally, that can be amplified to draw in large, national audiences.
- Strong connections in the podcast industry, fostering relationships to further drive business objectives through partnerships.
- Experience with the audio and video production process, as well as other forms of digital and linear content.
- Understanding of how video, social, and other digital content align with podcasts, and how to tie it into overall audience development and revenue strategies.
- Familiarity with how local news and content teams operate, and how to maximize output from teams juggling multiple responsibilities.
- Proficiency with audio editing platforms (Adobe Audition or Pro Tools), and quality control. Video editing experience a plus.
- Efficient time management and organization skills, managing multiple projects at different stages while meeting deadlines.
- Ability to travel as needed.
- Flexibility to work occasional nights and/or weekends, as projects and deadlines call for.