Digital Content Editor
Bally Sports Midwest seeks a talented journalist to produce, program and package content for Bally Sports Midwest, Bally Sports Kansas City and Bally Sports Indiana digital platforms. This part-time position requires an understanding of best practices for websites and mobile and social platforms. The Digital Content Editor must grasp our online voice, audience and objectives and will be trusted to make sound editorial decisions with little oversight. The DCE also must have a working knowledge of all teams covered in these three regions, particularly broadcast partners (St. Louis Cardinals, St. Louis Blues, Kansas City Royals, Indiana Pacers). The DCE will be asked to write as needed.
This freelance work is remote (work from home) with night and weekend work the norm, as dictated by sporting events.
- Populate and update our digital platforms with videos, photos, graphics, news stories and related content.
- Use live stream publishing software to select and publish video clips (highlights, interviews, features), graphics and screen grabs from live linear event broadcasts to digital platforms.
- Write creative social media text that engages the fans and viewers who constitute our social audience.
- Use a content management system to write and edit stories and headlines, store and manage photos and videos, and publish content to the web and mobile app.
- Ensure grammatical and factual accuracy and conformance with company and AP style.
The right person for this role will:
- Possess a strong working knowledge of pro and college sports, particularly teams in St. Louis, Kansas City, Indianapolis and surrounding areas.
- Use an appropriate online voice that captures the language of each sport and the company’s brand positioning as the heart of the fan.
- Be willing to work a flexible schedule that includes evening, weekend and holiday work as dictated by sporting events and the digital news cycle.
- Exhibit sound news judgment, critical thinking ability and an understanding of what our teams’ fans value and want.
- Work quickly and efficiently while maintaining an attention to detail.
- Be a self-starter with the discipline to work alone and complete all assigned tasks while requiring minimal oversight.
- Be organized, detail-oriented and able to multitask under pressure.
- Be receptive to regular constructive feedback.
- Display creativity and enterprise.
- Exhibit a team-first attitude.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or a related field.
- Understanding of social and web concepts and how to engage a digital audience.
- Demonstrated proficiency with social media tools and platforms, particularly Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Demonstrable experience and aptitude for web publishing tools including:
- Content management systems
- Photo editing software such as Photoshop
- Live stream publishing software such as Wildmoka, Snappy TV and LiveCut (preferred)
- Demonstrable experience writing, copy editing, prepping and publishing content for the web and mobile app in a CMS.
- Writing skills and working knowledge of Associated Press style.