Real Estate Finance In-House Counsel
We are not just offering a job but a meaningful career! Come join our passionate team!
As a Fortune 50 company, we hire the best employees to serve our customers, making us a leader in the insurance and financial services industry. State Farm embraces diversity and inclusion to ensure a workforce that is engaged, builds on the strengths and talents of all associates, and creates a Good Neighbor culture.
State Farm is offering a Counsel opportunity within the Investments Unit of the Law Department, located in State Farm's corporate headquarters in Bloomington, Illinois. Our Law Department employees are challenged, committed and empowered. At State Farm, we help one another grow professionally and personally. It is part of who we are and have been since 1922.
We offer competitive benefits and pay with the potential for an annual financial award based on both individual and enterprise performance. Our employees have an opportunity to participate in volunteer events within the community and engage in a learning culture. We offer programs to assist with tuition reimbursement, professional designations, employee development, wellness initiatives, and more!
Visit our Careers page for more information on our benefits , locations and the process of joining the State Farm team!
The Investments Unit counsels on transactional, regulatory, and compliance matters related to State Farm's investment portfolios, which exceed $300 billion in assets.
We are seeking an attorney to counsel on commercial mortgage loan transactions and real estate investments. Interested candidates should have at least three to five years of experience counseling on (i) complex commercial mortgage loan transactions and construction loans; and (ii) purchases and sales of commercial real estate and real estate construction and development issues.
Candidates should also possess:
- Demonstrated legal, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills.
- A strong work ethic and customer-service mentality.
- The ability to work in an environment that emphasizes information sharing, collaboration, teamwork, mutual respect and integrity.
- Law Degree from an ABA-accredited law school required
- Must have an active license to practice law in at least one state and a member in good standing of the bar
- Must be able to obtain a limited license if not already appropriately licensed in IL
- Applicants are required to be eligible to lawfully work in the U.S. immediately; employer will not sponsor applicants for U.S. work opportunity
- Other than as authorized by the General Counsel or their designee, employees are not permitted to handle any legal business outside of State Farm except authorized pro bono work
- Newly hired employees must cease all outside practice and all suit involvement before joining State Farm
- Travel may be required via commercial transportation or driving to job related activities
- May work irregular hours due to workload and nature of the work
Located in Bloomington, IL, this position is classified as a hybrid role, meaning that the work arrangement calls for days in the office in our Corporate Headquarters in Bloomington and virtually. Everyone in a hybrid role is required to spend some time in the office. Work arrangements could change over time based on business needs.