Consumer Strategy Manager
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Verizon operates in multiple segments—wireless and wireline connectivity, and select services that leverage that connectivity. The Manager of Consumer Strategy works across the organization to identify and analyze key strategic questions that either underpin decisions made by or are on top of mind of Verizon’s Board of Directors and executive leadership. You will be a key member of the VCG Strategy team, supporting strategy, planning, and business development, responsible for participating in cross-functional teams through the process of building a vision and recommendations on key strategic decisions. This role is dynamic, fast-paced, and covers a broad range of issues impacting the telecom, platforms, and technology sectors. You will provide thought leadership and recommendations to Verizon's most senior leaders in the Consumer business unit on relevant topics in the consumer space, with objective, clear, impactful analysis.
The VCG Strategy team works together, while organized into a few broad topic areas. All members speak the language of strategy; each team also has depth in one or more areas including core connectivity technologies, distribution, care, platforms, VAS, and program management.
- Support senior leadership in crafting analysis, actions, and messaging for key strategic topics.
- Drive action from insights, progressing slide-ware towards execution.
- Develop structured, long-term perspectives for key consumer topics, with a strong outside-in orientation.
- Identify new business models and cultivate strategic partnerships.
- Define and support the strategic planning process and drive its implication to other operational activities (e.g., capital allocation, budgeting, product development).
- Translate strategy into key initiatives that, upon execution, deliver the strategy.
- Work closely with VCG functional teams to imbue business cases with objective strategic rationale. Identify emerging trends, risks, and opportunities in the Consumer space.
- Lead cross-functional teams in collaboration to drive initiatives and business opportunities.
- Support preparation of strategy presentations for major Corporate Governance (e.g., Board meetings, Investor relations, Consumer Executive Leadership, etc.).
- Build high-level business models and business cases for new opportunities.
Where you'll be working:
This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager.
What we’re looking for...
You are curious about what people need and want. You understand the subtleties of new technologies and how we can solve for those needs and wants. You can see the bigger picture, and help others see it, too. You enjoy digging through data for insight into opportunities for how we can help our consumers work, play and connect in new and better ways. You are extremely comfortable with working in ambiguous environments. You are a self-starter, a creative and innovative thinker.
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Two or more years of experience in strategy, consulting, investment banking, or similar experience.
- Financial modeling experience (e.g., forecasting, creating business plans, analyzing financial data).
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A Bachelor’s degree or an MBA.
- Demonstrated competency in strategic thinking who can analyze data to make appropriate process/business decisions/recommendations and shape business strategy.
- A strong consulting and strategic background.
- Experience analyzing markets, industry trends, company valuation, and the ability to find opportunities for Verizon's growth based on this research.
- Experience supporting executive-level communications in a rapid-paced environment.
- Experience working in a large, dynamic, complex organization, where developing strong interpersonal relationships and leading through influence are keys to success.
- A naturally collaborative approach as you will be working in a cross-functional environment.
- Strong written and oral communication and presentation skills (e.g., storyboarding, executive proposal creation, presentation of said proposals).
- Solid quantitative and analytical skills, including robust financial modeling skills and the ability to perform and review quantitative analysis with relative autonomy.
- Strong self-initiative – ability to deal with high degree of ambiguity and drive clarity in key areas while working in a fast-paced environment.
- Track record of handling extremely confidential information appropriately.
- Willingness to travel to conferences / store visits / similar.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.