Associate Director, Global Energy and Sustainability (R1557364-en-us)
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Principle Objective of Position
The Associate Director, Global Energy and Sustainability is a key role within the Global Energy & Sustainability Services group which is part of the Global Engineering and Facilities organization at BMS. This role is responsible for overseeing the day to day and long-term planning for energy demand side management, decarbonization, and driving for strategic energy conservation initiatives globally.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- This position is responsible for driving energy and sustainability initiatives across our manufacturing, research & early development, and commercial sites to support our sustainability goals
- Subject matter expert (SME) in energy demand side reduction and decarbonization
- Lead energy and sustainability focus areas, and support related efforts that includes policy research, development of opportunities, conduct feasibilities studies, budgeting, and planning as well as final verification
- Drive initiatives and projects to support company’s next generation sustainability goals through close partnership with global engineering and facilities, global EOHSS teams, site / project teams and other stakeholders as applicable
- Lead the annual Environmental Star Partner of the Year Program, Department of Energy Better Plant Challenge execution, including: the application process, advisory group meetings, program support, communication updates, promotional material development, and other support necessary for a successful program
- Collaborate on existing internal programs and projects that contribute to the increased energy and sustainability awareness and engagement within the company, including the energy rebate and grant applications from those initiatives as well as internal and external communication on these initiatives
- Partner with global engineering team in developing / revising design standards pertaining to energy efficiency and sustainability
- Support the sustainability, resiliency, and environmental, climate change growth strategy
- Support staff and leadership in advocating for energy and sustainability through engagement / communication
- Manage energy audits and track opportunities through implementation and final verification
- Keep abreast of changes in regulations and technologies in the energy industries. Evaluate and apply new technologies to support site objectives and meet compliance for changes in regulations
- Work across sites, department and functional areas to implement operational changes to support compliance, energy and sustainability savings
- Lead the global energy council
- Degree in engineering or other related field
- Minimum 10 years of design, feasibility studies and implementation of energy / sustainability projects
- Minimum 5 years of experience in HVAC systems
- Proven project management skills in compliance driven operations. Minimum 5 years demonstrated experience supervising others. Experience with effectively managing and developing budgets. Effective organization and administrative skills
- Excellent planning, organizing, analysis and problem-solving skills. Strong background and understanding in the planning and execution of projects
- Demonstrated business acumen, understanding of business needs, risks and regulatory implications in the development/assessment of design alternatives
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, organized and able to prioritize tasks to meet multiple deadlines
- Ability to use discretion with sensitive/confidential information
- Demonstrated proficiency with standard business management tools (MS Project, Excel, Visio, SharePoint, PowerPoint, word) and templates
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- 10-20 % travel
- Flexibility of working on multiple tasks simultaneously. Must handle short deadlines with a high level of urgency utilizing strong organizational skills
- Must be able to take initiative and have ability to work independently and as a team member. Has a sense of ownership of programs and accountability
- Preferred experience scoping and delivering enterprise-level software solutions
- Position can be based at any of the major BMS sites in NJ
Physical / Mental Demands
- Occasional stooping, bending, stretching, pushing, pulling, reaching and/or light lifting may be required
- Ability to sit, stand, walk and move within workspace for extended periods
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks including hand to finger manipulations, grasping, pushing and pulling
- Environment may include working in office or in a laboratory / manufacturing area
- Ability to work safely in an environment with exposure to high temperature / pressure steam, and other fluids, compressed gasses, odors, various noise levels, moving parts, vibration, wet / slippery areas and high voltage energy supplies
- Ability to work safely when working alone or working with others
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.