Director of Sales
- Develop and uphold a deep understanding of our target markets, ideal customer profile, unique customers pains/challenges and the solutions provided by SMA.
- Manage the full sales cycle from opportunity qualification to closing, including top of funnel outreach, discovery, demo, contract negotiation, and closing.
- Maintain a highly predicable revenue forecast. Report regularly to the Leadership Team on monthly and quarterly performance.
- Leverage data to analyze performance, manage sales activity and drive pipeline to exceed revenue targets and company goals.
- Build enthusiasm with prospective customers and the sales team by evangelizing our solution.
- Meet regularly with direct reports within the sales organization to understand their strengths, development needs and key areas of focus to grow in their careers.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with feedback from the field to help shape future product development, messaging and business strategy.
Objectives – The Problems You’ll Solve
In your first month, you will onboard by getting up to speed on the company and employees, our customers, and the forward-looking Go-To-Market strategy:
- Connect with members of our Sales, Marketing, Product, and Technology teams to understand our offerings and why our customers value them.
- Learn the nuances between our verticals, ideal customer profiles and buyer personas.
- Study our sales process and enablement material; Ride along with your team to get acquainted with our messaging and competitive positioning.
- Ramp up on our CRM, tech stack, metrics reporting cadence, and sales methodology.
- Meet with all your direct reports within the sales organization to understand their strengths and development needs to better help coach and teach them.
In your first 3 months, provide a diagnostic on areas for improvement within the sales organization and develop a strong, strategic sales plan that demonstrates how key numbers will be attained:
- Present your early findings which includes priority gaps to close and potential next steps to the leadership team. Review current sales methodology and identify areas for improvement such as training the sales team and implementing process changes.
- Meet/exceed objectives for leads accepted as Opportunities handed to SE and BDR teams, ensuring that we are consistently meeting our objectives for Sales pipeline necessary to attain quarterly revenue targets.
- Take ownership of weekly reporting on team performance, including, the quarterly sales forecast, an overview of rolling pipeline coverage and key opportunity conversion metrics.
- Through 1:1’s with direct reports, identify the soft spots in our sales and marketing processes and how to improve them; this could include prospecting/qualification, deal progression, forecasting and enablement.
- Present and implement a data-driven, process-oriented management plan that demonstrates how sales targets will be attained.
- Partner with marketing to establish an agreed upon integrated sales and marketing plan to drive growth including evaluating demand generation activities to create a scalable demand engine that drives maximum sales productivity.
In your first 6 months, own the day-to-day management of the U.S. Sales team, execute on your plan for increasing lead/revenue velocity and give metric driven coaching to help direct reports develop the skills necessary to exceed goals and grow in their careers.
- Partner with Revenue Operations to track and improve standard sales metrics including sales stage conversion, sales cycle, win rate, sales rep productivity, pipeline coverage and forecasting accuracy, among others.
- Create and execute pipeline review sessions with the U.S. sales team to ensure consistent performance or identify coverage gaps. Drive and support sales efforts that specifically tie to strategic and tactical activities needed to achieve sales goals.
- Ensure sales process and forecasting methodology is integrated cross-functionally within the sales team. Ensure that the team is focused on the right priorities.
- Engage with customers and prospects to ensure alignment across strategy, execution, and go-to-market roadmap.
- Set quarterly OKR’s for yourself and direct reports that align with company objectives. Provide clarity to what is most important right now.
- Meet with peers in Channel Sales, Marketing, Professional Services and Product to create joint plans around how you will enable the organization’s goals for revenue and pipeline generation.
- Begin presenting quarterly status updates on what is working and what can be improved within sales organization.
- Provide leadership with ongoing updates on pipeline and forecast for sourced revenue.
Competencies – what we’re looking for
Sales and Customer-First Mindset – We focus on winning the right customers, those with who gain high value from our products. We’ll expect you to quickly ramp up and become a go-to resource on what "right" looks like:
- Our product, the pain it solves for our customers, and how we’re different than our competitors
- How to tailor your messaging to fit different personas and customer mindsets
- The state of our existing opportunities in each step of the funnel
- What our best fit customers look like and how to hand them off to Customer Success
Partnership with Marketing, Product and Customer Success – You know you can’t do it by yourself. Partnering with our CMO, VP of Product and VP of Customer Success will be key. You’ll be an important conduit for feedback from our customers, and you can show us that you can not only listen to that feedback, but proactively share it with the other leaders on our team so we can build better products and sell + market them more effectively.
An outstanding coach and developer of people – You will be stepping into a company going through a lot of change and asking you to disrupt things even further. A personal touch, involving lots of 1:1 coaching, will be an absolute requirement in this role. That doesn’t scare you – it energizes you. You will be able to tell us how you tailor your management and coaching approach to fit the different personalities on your team and will have success stories to share of the people-led change you have created in your past teams.
Data Driven Sales Leadership & Process: You understand a complex enterprise sales environment and what it means to operate in a world-class fashion. This starts with ensuring you have the best sales team on the planet and the right processes to execute. You build your sales organization on a foundation constructed with a first-class sales methodology that creates a repeatable roadmap for your organization to leverage as their game plan for consistent and predictable success with accurate forecasts and high win percentages. You’re comfortable rolling up your sleeves and “inspecting and correcting” with everyone on your team so they know how to do things better next time. What’s more, you are eager to provide training and tools that enable others to develop their data based selling abilities over time.
Accountability + follow-through on commitments: You hold yourself to high standards and follow through on your commitments. You can adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions, and cope effectively with complexity and change. You do what you say and demonstrate tenacity and willingness to hold others accountable to ensure that goals are met.
Resilient: Driving the growth for a fast-moving technology company is not without its ups and downs. You can tell stories about times when you’ve weathered tough times and disappointment and picked yourself up again.
How We Work – Our Core Values
Collaborative – Our team is at our when best we are learning, growing and working together to achieve the best results for our customers and team members.
Tenacious – Our tenacity comes from our strength of character. We are scrappy, determined, resourceful, and relentless in our approach to serve our clients and partners. We are willing to fight for what is right and are proactive in seeking solutions. We are tenacious and will not quit.
Eager to win – We go about our work thinking about how to win every day. This enables use to focus on accomplishing what is most important first while grounding the team on what needs to be done. We strive to win at everything we tackle.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
Work primarily in a climate-controlled environment with minimal safety/health hazard potential. High level of stress. Sedentary, sitting, walking, infrequent lifting (overhead, waist level) from floor, bending, frequent near vision use for reading and computer use.
Physical Activity Frequency
- Sitting 80%
- Walking 20%
- Crouching/Bending/Stooping 1%
- Reaching 1%
- Grasping 1%
- Pushing/Pulling 1%
- Near Vision 80%
- Far Vision 20%
- Hearing 100%
- Speaking 75%
- Lifting/Carrying - up to 10 lbs 20%
- Lifting/Carrying - up to 25 lbs 1%
- Lifting/Carrying - up to 50 lbs 1%
- Lifting/Carrying - up to 100 lbs 0%
Unisoft International, Inc. dba Software Management Associates provides Equal Employment Opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or veteran status. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.