Media and Commercial Transactions Counsel ( 594875-1D )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Verizon is the nation’s largest wireless communications company (including offering 5G Home services) and operates fios TV, one of the largest cable operators in the U.S. The company seeks a forward-thinking attorney for its Business & Legal Affairs team that is responsible for all aspects of content acquisition and strategy for its linear, digital, gaming, and multiplatform video products for its wireline and wireless services. In addition to content acquisition, the attorney will advise the company’s employees on programming-related matters involving legal issues, as well as finance, strategy, media relations, public policy and operations concerns. The ability to manage multiple fast-moving deals and projects in a dynamic setting and to operate in a cross-functional environment is critical, as is the ability to develop key relationships and maintain a visible presence within the company and the larger video industry.
- Draft and negotiate agreements in connection with the deployment of new media technologies and other advanced television and broadband services and in support of Verizon’s over-the-top and 5G offerings.
- Draft and negotiate content licensing, cable television, and station retransmission consent agreements with major cable television networks and stations, streaming video platforms, movie studios, media companies and other content owners for linear television broadcast, VOD, interactive, TV Everywhere and mobile video distribution rights.
- Draft and negotiate commercial transactions to offer third party content and gaming products in conjunction with Verizon Wireless brands, products, and services
- Draft template contracts to support Verizon’s business in the above areas, and advise Verizon’s business departments on risks and strategy regarding the same.
- Provide contract-related support and counsel to the Verizon’s content acquisition and strategy teams.
This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- J.D. degree and six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Bar membership in good standing in at least one state.
- Experience as a practicing corporate/transactional attorney at a nationally-recognized law firm or in-house at a major corporation with solid drafting and negotiating skills.
- Willingness to travel.
Even better if you have:
- Good academic performance in law school.
- Experience licensing content in the gaming, digital media, over-the-top, cable/broadcast television, or entertainment industries or experience working on intellectual property matters.
- Experience with Established relationships with business and legal executives at major content providers, over-the-top distributors, or digital companies.
Verizon will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical, religious, or state law recognized reasons).