Technical Writer and Editor ( R-00090480 )
The NISC IV program has an opening for a Technical Writer and Editor to provide support to the Federal Aviation Administration.
The Technical Writer and Editor will be responsible to preparing technical briefings, Standard Operating Procedures, Bulletins, Orders and/or other communications for senior FAA executives including presentations, articles, speeches, and talking points. The Technical Writer and Editor will also have responsibility for ensuring final congressional and FOIA responses are edited in accordance with the Chicago Manual of Style.
Technical Writer and Editor Specific duties for the position include:
- Use your excellent communications skills, strong managerial and interpersonal skills (both oral & written) to thrive in a team-oriented atmosphere.
- With your skill in multi-tasking priorities and self-motivation, you will perform research, respond to media inquiries, track mentions in the mass-media, advise the management team in taking action in cases of communication crisis and foster in departmental brand awareness.
- Support the program with editing, creating, processing, and coordinating the composition of products for hardcopy and electronic publication and dissemination. This work includes editing, proofreading, formatting, creating graphics, and providing quality control for the publication of analytic and finished intelligence products (including briefing books) for senior policymakers.
- Lead document production efforts, define project requirements, develop production timelines, use approved formats, research written and graphic content, prepare concepts for customer review, produce final content layout and artwork, coordinate with stakeholders, ensure quality control, and prepare and deliver digital files for final hard copy or soft copy output.
- Serve as the technical/creative resource for report production projects, provide alternative approaches and mediums for consideration, review concepts, content and final artwork, and recommend or incorporate revisions for team projects to ensure adherence to technical production and quality control standards.
- Assist the Publications Officer in the plan and design of briefing products, web products, and websites, partnering with clients to ensure inclusion of project requirements. Plan and develop original, innovative content and graphic concepts, formats, templates, and/or standards for product design.
- Define, clarify, and communicate customers' requirements and coordinate with customers to plan projects; work closely with customers to translate vision and conceptual ideas into graphic products, assess work parameters on complex projects, collect information, negotiate production schedules, and resolve difficult procedural and production problems that may arise.
- Preserve and protect all confidences and privileged communications.
- Design visual content to communicate messages via email messages, KSN Pages, or other channels.
- Develop innovative, creative communications campaigns and PowerPoint presentations.
- BA degree and 8 – 12 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 6 – 10 years of prior relevant experience.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills while thriving in deadline-driven, fast-paced environment.
- Strong MS Office Suite especially PowerPoint
- Strong time-management skills.
- Skilled in using graphic design packages
- Ability to efficiently plan, provide for contingencies, balance competing demands, adapt to change, and remain focused to deliver results
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.