Transmission Data and Model Engineer- Akron, Oh or Reading, PA (46325)
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [FEU
Primary reporting locations are Akron, Ohio and Reading, Pennsylvania.
There are 3 available positions.
- System modeling of the transmission and sub-transmission lines, system interconnections, transmission and sub-transmission substations and transformers to ensure system accuracy, results and reliable operation.
- Modeling impedances of lines and transformers, ratings of equipment, air switch capability, and modeling aspects of power flow models.
- Performing transmission modeling activities with the operating companies, other utilities, nonutility generation, the Regional Transmission Organization, and Reliability Councils.
- Discussions and resolutions to modeling discrepancies, questions and compliance concerns.
- Developing and maintaining applications, queries, and macros using VBA, C++, and SQL programming languages.
- Actively participate on industry working groups and forums to ensure the FirstEnergy is viewed as an engaged leader in transmission activities.
- Continually seek opportunities to increase internal and external customer satisfaction and broaden/deepen relationships with neighboring companies, PJM, RFC, and NERC.
- Promote a diverse and inclusive work environment that values an open exchange of ideas to promote innovation
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited school.
- At least 3 years of engineering required.
- Demonstrated abilities of effective analytical and reasoning capabilities, refined oral and written communication skills, including ability to effectively structure and confidently present information to peers and leadership.
- Ability to work independently on assignments that may be broad in nature involving the compilation, preparation, and analysis of various statistical/analytical data, reports, statements, studies, or projects.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office tools, including Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Word.
- Basic researching skills required.
- Desire to continue to learn and grow, work across FirstEnergy, and deliver results.
- Ability to deliver quality, accurate work within established deadlines.
- Ability to work extended hours or afterhours (e.g. evening, weekend and holidays) callouts to provide onsite technical and operational guidance in support of system emergencies.
- Self-motivated and a self-starter, customer focus
ed, and results oriented.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills to work effectively with people at all levels across the FE organization as well as with outside parties.
- Must live within 45 miles of FirstEnergy territory.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team