Sales Manager - Springfield
The Sales Manager is responsible for building and maintaining the customer relationships that are the foundation of Ashley HomeStore’s retail sales success. The incumbent works with the Store Manager to develop and lead retail sales associates in the implementation of the Ashley Sales Approach, perform store operations functions such as opening and closing the store, and maintain compliance with AGR policies and operating procedures to ensure the delivery of an exceptional in-store experience for every guest that results in increased store sales, profitability and customer loyalty.
The Sales Manager is accountable for assisting in meeting and exceeding store customer satisfaction and sales targets, which include sales per guest (SPG), gross margin return on inventory (GMROI), Net Promoter Score (NPS) and other key performance metrics.
Overall, the Sales Manager contributes to the Ashley high performance culture by modeling our core values and engaging in sales management activities that keep the Ashley brand as the #1 home furnishings market leader in style, selection, quality and value.
Domestic Store Location
Budget Responsibility? No Yes Amount:
Intermediate – Applies managerial principles and administers procedures under management guidance, with overall direction established by executive leadership. Decision-making affects department with potentially significant corporate financial impact. Solves problems by interpreting data using generally prescribed procedures and selecting from multiple known alternatives. Has frequent external interaction; internal relationships are critical and affect morale the work unit/team.
Primary Job Functions
· Co-leads the store retail sales associates in meeting and exceeding sales goals, Sales per Guest (SPG), Net Promoter Score (NPS) and other key performance metrics. Optimizes guest conversion and sales tickets by ensuring the deployment of the Ashley Sales Approach.
· Maintains a visible presence on the sales floor, role modeling the selling process, personally interacting with guests and being in a position to positively impact the sales process and ensure the Ashley brand is properly represented. Resolves customer issues in a professional, helpful manner that strikes the proper balance between customer satisfaction and financial responsibility to the company.
· Participates in developing and implementing daily “flight” plans to create a culture of accountability and to ensure a continued focus on sales performance and other goal attainment. Uses staffing-to-traffic methodologies to properly staff and manage the sales floor.Prioritizes daily responsibilities and tasks.
· Ensures compliance with store operating policies and procedures, including advertising and promotions, merchandise layouts, pricing, beginning-of and end-of-day, store appearance, human resources, health and safety, etc. Maintains operational standards and office administrative routines and processes.
· Analyzes daily operational and financial reports to determine the store’s results and performance trends, and takes prompt corrective action to remedy significant variance.
· Assists in recruiting, developing and leading a store team capable of supporting AGR’s performance and growth strategies. Ensures new associates are trained for their position. Delivers timely communication through regular management and team meetings. Maximizes sales associate performance by setting targets, providing coaching and feedback and using support mechanisms such as role plays, target cards and performance improvement meetings. Takes corrective action when necessary. Creates an engaging, positive working environment and strong selling culture; recognizes and rewards top performers.
· Serves as the Manager on Duty, managing the store in the absence of the store manager.
· Participates in monthly “velocity walks” to assess and respond to category sales performance.
· Monitors controllable expenses such as utilities, maintenance, shrinkage and cash overage/shortage.
· Maintains high levels of knowledge on all Ashley products, promotions and store procedures.
· Demonstrates the company’s core and growth values in performance of all job functions.
Secondary Job Functions
· Uses Continuous Improvement tools to support improvement of safety, quality, productivity and cost metrics.
· Performs competitive shopping to stay abreast of the local competitive environment.
· Promotes and builds the Ashley brand through active involvement in community functions and events, such as the Chamber of Commerce, Kiwanis, Rotary Club or other local merchant or volunteer organizations.
· Learns the furniture retail industry as a whole to establish a strong understanding of Ashley’s products and their positioning in the marketplace, as well as the processes and procedures in how the business is operated.
· Picks up projects on the fly as they come up. Performs other duties as assigned from time to time.
1. The incumbent will work a minimum of 48 hours per week, including evenings, Saturdays and/or Sundays. The number of hours will increase during specific events, holidays or blackout periods, or to meet other business needs.
2. Regular attendance at the assigned store in accordance with these expectations is an essential function of the job and all job functions are performed at the designated job location. Local travel will be on an occasional basis.
· Associate’s in business administration or related degree required; Bachelor’s preferred
· Equivalent experience may be considered in lieu of education.
· Two to three years retail sales experience required; preferably in furniture retail.
· Team leadership or supervisory experience preferred.
· Proven results in exceeding sales and sales performance goals.
Licenses or Certifications:
· Strong knowledge of furniture products and styles.
· Strong business knowledge with basic financial acumen
· Exceptional relationship building skills.
· Strong communication and listening skills.
· Strong attention to detail, with ability to multitask.
· Strong problem solving and decision making skills, with ability to analyze data and draw conclusions.
· Basic computer and office software skills
· Other: friendly, enthusiastic and energetic with a genuine desire to provide and support outstanding service