Research Associate ( R-00052419 )
The Defense Health Operation of Leidos is currently looking for a Research Associate to support the Viral and Rickettsial Diseases Department, Infectious Diseases Directorate, Naval Medical Research Center, Silver Spring, MD. The position will perform virological, immunological, molecular biological as well as animal study procedures to support development of vaccines and diagnostics for militarily relevant viral diseases.
The ideal candidate shall:
- Plan, conduct, and complete investigations under the supervision of the head of the laboratory. Assignments require the independent performance of complex laboratory tests, determinations, and analyses involving multiple procedures and a variety of technical approaches.
- Perform literature searches and maintain organized laboratory records and notebooks as required.
- Assist with the writing and editing of experimental results for publication in technical and peer-reviewed journals.
- Ensure data integrity and perform data analysis and interpretation.
- Provide guidance to lower level laboratory staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Work is to be performed on a government installation. The normal work week is Monday - Friday 0800 to 1630.
- Master of Science in a related discipline, or Bachelor of Science with extensive experience. Minimum Experience required: 4+ years directly related research experience
- The candidate will be required to acquire, at a minimum, a SECRET classification access level. Preference will be given to a candidate who already has this clearance level.
- Must have good communication and analytical skills and the ability to meet project deadlines.
- Willing and able to endure long periods of standing and sitting as well as working in a laboratory environment up to Biosafety Level 3 (Biological Select Agents and Toxins)
- Capable of using N95 respirator or PAPR
- Experience in BSL-3 environments is desirable.
- Knowledge of and experience in cell culture, animal handling, PCR, serological assays including antibody and ELISPOT assays, other molecular and immunological assays. NextGen sequencing experience is a plus.