Operations Research Specialist / Sr. OR Specialist (753130900)
Job Location: Fort Worth
Other Potential Locations: Fort Worth, TX
Anticipated Start Date: 08/02/2021
Number of Positions: 1
Salary Range: $83,600 - $102,400
This position is located at our Fort Worth, Texas corporate office and has the potential to be a hybrid position with up to 50% remote work.
About our company:
BNSF Railway is one of North America’s leading freight transportation companies, with a rail network of 32,500 route miles in 28 states and three Canadian provinces, and employs approximately 35,000 people. BNSF is one of the top transporters of the products and materials that help feed, clothe, supply and power communities throughout America and the world. BNSF moves those goods more safely and efficiently, on significantly less fuel, with fewer emissions than the all-highway alternative.
Given the extent of its network and vast amount of resources needed to operate at its best, BNSF employs the latest technology and constantly strives for innovative solutions and efficiencies in its operations.
About our team:
- Operations Research team is responsible for finding solutions to some of the many challenging problems facing the railroad. They include crew scheduling, blocking, van routing, yard simulation, track inspection, network optimization, equipment distribution optimization– just to name a few
- Over the years, our team has developed into a tight-knit group of colleagues and friends. This creates a collaborative environment which puts each and every team member on a path to realizing their full potential.
- In just the past three years, our efforts have been recognized by the OR community in the following ways:
- 2018 INFORMS Prize Winner
- Finalist for the 2018 Innovative Applications in Analytics Award
- Finalist for the 2017 Daniel H. Wagner Prize for Excellence in Operations Research Practice
We are seeking an Operations Research specialist to join our team that applies techniques ranging from large scale optimization, simulation, ML/DL, Image analytics, cognitive computing and advanced statistics.
- Applying operations research methodologies including linear, integer and network programming to formulate, develop, and implement complex mathematical models
- Design and Develop applications/tools for decision support systems to help solve business problems
- Collaborating with various Business and Technology Services teams on solution design, development and integration as part of the solution implementation
- Staying abreast of the advances in analytical techniques, including open source libraries
- Understanding existing data structures and IT processes and using data-manipulation techniques and tools to derive insights from large volumes of data
- Preparing strategic insights and provide consulting services
- Working with end-users to validate and enhance the tools
Sr. Operations Research Specialist will also include:
- Identifying solution techniques and implementing them independently, with external vendors, through academic alliances, or with BNSF Technology Services teams
- Exploring and initiating new projects and socializing among business teams within BNSF
- Communicating proposed business solutions, status and findings to senior management and key stakeholders
The duties and responsibilities in this posting are representative categories to be used in deciding whether to apply for the position. These general categories do not necessarily constitute an exhaustive list of duties of the position.
- Master’s degree in Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science or a related field; PhD preferred for Sr. level or Masters with related experience
- Practical experience applying quantitative techniques to solve real-world problems
- Strong programming skills in an object-oriented programming language, such as Python, Java, C++, or VB.Net
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to identify underlying problems and appropriate techniques for solving them
- Ability to manipulate and extract information from very large, complex data sets
- Familiar with commercial solver software, such as CPLEX, FICO, Gurobi, ProMod or Anylogic or Frontline Solver; expertise required for Sr. level
BNSF offers competitive benefit programs and services including, but not limited to
- Medical, Dental and Vision Coverage
- 401(k) Plan
- Railroad Retirement
- Life Insurance
- Incentive Compensation Plan (ICP)
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
BNSF Railway is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled.
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION ELEMENTS
- Criminal history
- Last 7 years of driving history
- Last 5 years of employment history to include military service
- Social Security number
- Medical evaluation
- Drug Screen
- Other elements as needed
SF: MO | [[mfield5]] | Technology Services | Fort Worth, TX | 76131