Intern - Fellow (Operations Research) - Spring / Summer 2022 (800487200)
Apply early as this job may be removed or filled prior to the closing date, which is approximately seven (7) days after the posting date.
Job Location: Fort Worth
Other Potential Locations: Fort Worth, TX
Anticipated Start Date: 01/31/2022
Number of Positions: 2
Salary Range: -
COVID-19 Federal Vaccine Mandate
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to affect all aspects of our lives. From the onset, BNSF's goals have remained the same: keep our people safe and maintain our essential operations. While we maintained that the decision to be vaccinated for COVID-19 is a personal one, we also encouraged employees to consider the options and make the best decision for themselves and their families.
Under President Biden's COVID-19 Action Plan, BNSF is covered by the federal mandate and must require all employees to be fully vaccinated with a target date of January 4, 2022. Under this same federal mandate, BNSF will require all newly hired employees to be fully vaccinated before their start date.
Who we are and what we do
Do you want to be a part of something that really matters? Team BNSF includes professionals focused on safety and service that play a vital role in delivering the nation's freight. Together, we help move goods and materials that sustain life and support local, national and global economies. Our rail network is one of the largest freight railroads, spanning 28 western states and serving three Canadian provinces.
What we believe
At BNSF, our Vision and Values drive who we are, not only in our words, but also our actions. BNSF is committed to our foundational values of equality and inclusion. As members of the BNSF community, our employees are entitled to:
- be treated with dignity and respect.
- have equal access to tools, resources, training and development opportunities.
- have equal opportunity to achieve their full potential.
We model the way through our leadership, our BNSF Diversity Councils, our eclectic Business Resource Groups, our deep involvement and investment in the communities we serve and through training programs. Our actions create an inclusive, open and collaborative workplace that encourages diverse perspectives in all interactions.-BNSF
About our company:
BNSF Railway is one of North America’s leading freight transportation companies, with a rail network of 32,500 route miles in 28 states and three Canadian provinces, and employs approximately 35,000 people. BNSF is one of the top transporters of the products and materials that help feed, clothe, supply and power communities throughout America and the world. BNSF moves those goods more safely and efficiently, on significantly less fuel, with fewer emissions than the all-highway alternative.
Given the extent of its network and vast amount of resources needed to operate at its best, BNSF employs the latest technology and constantly strives for innovative solutions and efficiencies in its operations.
About our team:
- BNSF’s Operations Research team is responsible for designing and implementing solutions to some of the many challenging problems facing the railroad. They include crew scheduling, blocking, van routing, yard simulation, track inspection, network optimization, equipment distribution optimization– just to name a few.
- Over the years, our team has developed into a tight-knit group of colleagues and friends. This creates a collaborative environment which puts each and every team member on a path to realizing their full potential.
- In just the past few years, our efforts have been recognized by the OR community in the following ways:
- 2018 INFORMS Prize Winner.
- Finalist for the 2018 Innovative Applications in Analytics Award.
- Finalist for the 2017 Daniel H. Wagner Prize for Excellence in Operations Research Practice.
We are seeking enthusiastic research interns to join the Operations Research team, that are willing to apply their skillset in mathematical modeling/programming, optimization, statistics, simulation, and data analysis, to solve business problems in the railway industry and drive efficiency.
An OR Intern-Fellow’s work in the Operations Research team at BNSF may include, but is not limited, to the following:
- Work closely with OR Specialists, key business partners and subject-matter-experts to understand business problems and propose solution approaches.
- Perform data cleaning, manipulation and analysis.
- Design, develop, test, and implement OR models and decision-support tools.
- Communicate results with key stakeholders.
- 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday, is preferred.
- Work location - Onsite presence or working remotely– will be determined in accordance with the CDC guidelines
- Masters or Ph.D. students currently pursuing a major or minor degree in Operations Research, Applied Mathematics, Industrial Engineering, Computer Science, Transportation, or similar technical field. Ph.D. students are preferred.
- An overall GPA of 3.0 is required. An overall GPA of 3.5 is preferred.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Fluency in at least one programming language – e.g., Java, Python, C++, or another object-oriented programming language.
- Experience with optimization tools – e.g., CPLEX, Gurobi, FICO, etc.
- Familiar with Microsoft Office – e.g., Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
BNSF offers competitive benefit programs and services including, but not limited to
- Medical, Dental and Vision Coverage
- 401(k) Plan
- Railroad Retirement
- Life Insurance
- Incentive Compensation Plan (ICP)
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION ELEMENTS
- Criminal history
- Last 7 years of driving history
- Last 5 years of employment history to include military service
- Social Security number
- Medical evaluation
- Drug Screen
- Other elements as needed
SF: MO | [[mfield5]] | Technology Services | Fort Worth, TX | 76131